1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sopranos - 5/13

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by melock, May 13, 2007.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Dumping the asbestos in the wetlands is a major, major mistake by that contractor. He'll now have the EPA, Corps of Engineers and Ducks Unlimited investigating it. But I doubt if it comes back to bite Tony in the ass.

2. Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown Member

Sepinwall, in his chat just now, said it was "call me a taxi." Must have been one or the other. Thanks.

3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Omar -- Chris didn't want approval from Tony with Cleaver; he wanted out of the life.

4. Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown Member

In fact, he did say "I get it." He said it softly as he got up off the ground in the final scene, then he stood and hollered it loudly at the end. Some people thought he said "I did it," but closed captioning and HBO.com said it was "I get it."

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Sort of stepping in the middle without reading responses after this... I think the drugs were the reason. But it goes hand in hand with Christopher being a guy who could dime out Tony. Earlier in the car, they kept showing Tony looking at Christopher and realizing how out of control he was. Out of control + potential stool pigeon + little things Christopher had been doing, like the bad portrayal in the film, all added up to Tony seeing an opportunity to off him with no questions asked. This wasn't a mercy killing (maybe he did put Christopher out of his misery, but...) as much as it was Tony looking out for Tony.

I am really wondering what happens in the last three episodes. Silvio has been really quiet this season. He has always had that knack of saying very little, but seeing everything. It would seem about right if he was the one who finally betrays Tony to the Feds, driving home the message about how little honor there is "in this thing of hours," by making a guy you wouldn't suspect into a rat. There were little knowing looks on Silvio's face when Tony was in bed and they all visited him after the accident. What if the Feds have been on Silvio for killing Adriana and Silvio has gone rat?

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Revising what I just posted a little. I can also see Silvio seeing an opportunity to become boss and offing Tony or working in cahoots with the NY family to consolidate power. I just wouldn't be surprised if in some way he was the one who proves to be Tony's downfall.

7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Ragu -- I don't think so, if only because Miami Steve is about the worst actor on the show. He's good for comic relief, but I don't think that he can carry a scene for more than a couple of line.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

I thought for sure, even after replaying it 4 or 5 times, that Tony said "I did it," at the end...the echoes especially sound like "I did it"

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I doubt Silvio is going to make a grab for power. I think he knows he can't handle it.

10. Jemele Hill

Jemele Hill Member

Agree completely with Sepinwall's breakdown of the episode (Don't know if anyone posted it...http://blog.nj.com/alltv/2007/05/sopranos_rewind_kennedy_and_he.html)

Chris and Tony always struck me as classic frienenemies. Tony hated Chris for being too weak to control himself, and he also hated the fact that despite his obvious weaknesses, women were drawn to him anyway. Tony's thinking always has been, hey, I'm the big boss, and yet you all want to be with this guy? Tony was always coming behind Chris or competing with him for women, which is why Tony had sex with Chris' Vegas gumah (sp?) and got all sensitive about being compared to him in bed. Look at Tony's face when Carm mentioned to Tony how women loved Chris. Tony's reaction to that statement was priceless.

Tony basically played God. He thought Chris was too weak to live. He despised him for being weak, yet whenever Chris showed strength or depth, he despised that, too. Tony always wanted to feel superior to Chris and he exercised that superiority when he killed him.

11. Exactly. Last year, when Tony was in the hospital, Sil got momentary power and became physically ill at the prospect of being in charge. No way does he make a play to be boss. I suppose I could see him flipping, but I would be surprised.

Also, it's funny but at the end I never heard "I did it." I've watched it twice and both times I definitely heard "I get it."

12. Sly

Sly Active Member

Amen. I was just going to post the same thing.

Draft saved Draft deleted