1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sopranos 6/10 -- THE END

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by PhilaYank36, Jun 7, 2007.

?

Is there going to be a movie?

1. Yes

16 vote(s)
    23.2%
  2. No

18 vote(s)
    26.1%
  3. Maybe

11 vote(s)
    15.9%
  4. Fuck you, David Chase

24 vote(s)
    34.8%
  1. beanpole

beanpole Member

For some reason, I love this theory that Tony got whacked. Someone needs to interview David Chase -- not that he'd tell us.

2. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

Or the guy was fetching his gun out of the bathroom.

Or the USA hat guy did it.

Or one of the black kids.

Or one of the boy scouts.

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

i'm not arguing that there will be a movie. but chase isn't stupid enough to kill tony and end the possibility of a film.

chase, gandolfini, falco, etc., certainly hope there is no need for a film down the road, of course. but "the sopranos" could be the best thing any of them ever do. in a couple of years, they all could be dying to do a film.

they had to leave the door ajar. ... and did so beautifully. if tony's been whacked, why would chase ever tell? he might imagine that tony's been whacked -- until gandolfini needs a big film for another payday down the road.

4. No way did Tony die there. I understand it's completely open for interpretation, but I just don't see it.

To me, it's Chase's way of putting us in the shoes of Tony Soprano. That unending dread that death is always a split second away. In the meantime, he has to remember the good times to help him through his own miserable existence.

5. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

My first thought was "damn you Tivo" but now I think Tony got whacked and Chase will never say one way or another.
    Of course I had my fingers crossed that after the credits Bob Newhart woke up and said he had the weirdest dream.
    That would have been awesome.

6. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

There was a specific reason for the cut to black rather than a fade.
    It was a way of putting us in Tony's shoes, but also to leave the question in our minds.

Also I thought this was pretty good in the AP story:

"With every passing second, the audience was primed for tragedy. It was a scene both warm and fuzzy, yet full of dread. It set every viewer's heart racing, for no clear reason."

7. Can't wait to see what Sepinwall has to say.

8. Bruhman

Bruhman Active Member

The bell jingles, signifying someone entering the door.

We assume it's Meadow and it probably was. But maybe her entrance coincided with Tony being blasted.

Or maybe the guy comes out the bathroom and blasts Tony. Or someone else who's in, or headed to, the diner pulls the trigger.

My guess: The heat's really off because the New York crew is no longer looking to whack Tony.

If that's the case, the feds will probably get him if future gunplay doesn't.

I loved it (and last week's episode). The SUV crushing Phil's dome was outrageous. And I could barely stand the final minutes in the diner. I was almost like, Someone shoot him already! But I wanted Tony to live.

Go figure.

9. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Absoutely. And there's only about eleventybillion people trying to hit nj.com right now.

10. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I thought the shooting of the entire episode in muted, filtered colors, as if to make us think it could all be a dream, was fucking horseshit.

The series NEVER had that look... until that episode.

Final scene was very tense and offbeat, but I'm not with the artsy-fartsy brigade on this thread in liking it.

It was a gimmick that might have made sense if Phil hadn't been rubbed out.

It was very unique, but no Newhart.

11. taz

taz Member

Brilliant.

This is exactly what Chase wanted: For us to draw our own conclusions. And it's clear that no matter how good things may appear, Tony can never live in peace.

For an ending that didn't resolve anything, it was absolutely perfect.

And I love the fact that with so many tense episodes of late, we got to laugh. Paulie and the cat was priceless.

12. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Except we are looking at his face, not from his vantage point.

Draft saved Draft deleted