1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sopranos 6/10 -- THE END

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by PhilaYank36, Jun 7, 2007.

?

Is there going to be a movie?

1. Yes

16 vote(s)
    23.2%
  2. No

18 vote(s)
    26.1%
  3. Maybe

11 vote(s)
    15.9%
  4. Fuck you, David Chase

24 vote(s)
    34.8%
  1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

One of many interesting posts on Sepinwall's blog, from a fan of the show:

I actually disagree about the non-ending, ending. The ending of the story as we know it came when Tony was raking in the backyard and could hear the ducks overhead. Before the scene cuts away to Carmella, you can see a faint smile on his face. And this was it. This is the completion of the main story arc that started in episode 1 with Tony's fears of losing his family. The ducks are still there and Tony's family is going nowhere. A.J. was bought into staying with a flashy car, hot job, and model girlfriend; Meadow is marrying into Da Family and may be pregnant; and Carm is happy to look through plans on a new spec house.

At this point, whether conscious or unconscious, I think Tony comes to some resolution about his miserable fate. He knows he will end up "dead or in the can" as he once told Melfi he would, now that Carlo has flipped and an indictment is imminent. Instead of fleeing to Miami like he did earlier this season, Tony is amazingly calm. From this point forward, the only characters we see are the ones in his real family. It's no coincidence that the next scene features Tony making his peace with Junior, visiting him for the first time since the shooting and actually becoming quite misty eyed before he leaves. And, of course, the final scene is the ever fitting one with his family, which certainly alludes to the closeness his family felt during the dinner scene that ended season 1.

Far from providing a sense of closure, the final scene is meant to show how "life goes on" through Tony's eyes. As Tony watches the door to the restaurant, anything could happen in any given moment. The Feds could come walking in an take him away. The guy at the bar could walk by and put him down. The two black guys who walk in could start shooting as happened in season 1. Anyone in the restaurant could have any number of axes to grind. Every moment of Tony's life is filled with this type of uncertainty and suspense. No wonder he's been so paranoid all season! However, such is the existence of Tony Soprano. And how does he respond to it? He orders onion rings and enjoys the company of his family, fully accepting that doom is inevitable.

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Until I see video evidence otherwise, Meadow was not in the diner.

I just checked again.

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Just watched again....no Meadow. It's a mind game. You see her cross the street, a car speeds behind her (phew, she's not getting hit), and you see her approach the door (if the camera was on the door).

Cut to Tony, looking up as the bell on the door jingles....you assume Meadow. Cut to black.

4. Johnny Dangerously

I agree, Zeke. I agree, 21.

And even if she was briefly in the diner/restaurant/ice cream parlor, what does it really change?

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Run a poll. I dare you. I dare you to find out just how despised you are and how little you are thought of around here.

Til then, this will suffice.

[​IMG]

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Here is plot summary from Sopranos HBO web site:

Tony is the first to arrive at Holsten's for a family dinner. He sits in a booth and plays a song on the jukebox, watching the door. Carmela enters and joins him, asking about his meeting with Mink. He tells her Carlo's gonna testify and she takes the news with a sigh. AJ arrives next, complaining about the more mundane tasks of his job but quotes old advice from his father: "Try to remember the times that were good." Meanwhile, Meadow struggles to parallel park outside. Customers come and go - a shady looking guy who's been sitting at the counter enters the restroom. Finally parking the car, Meadow runs inside to join her family, just in time for dinner

7. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

If those two idiots didn't like the episode, then you know it was great finale.

8. Johnny Dangerously

If we're going to be literal, was she in fact running inside Holsten's when you saw her inside Holsten's? When I hear the phrase "run inside" I think of someone running to eventually be inside some place they are currently outside of.

Like, "go run inside and buy me a Coke." I don't think they actually run once inside, and I don't think Meadow was ever "inside" that we could see.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

That proves nothing.

10. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

She never was in Holsten's. It looked like she was running towards the ice cream parlor. Then it cut to Tony looking up when the bell rang. We're supposed to think that she entered Holstens.

11. Johnny Dangerously

I agree, HB. I never saw her inside Holsten's. This talk of Meadow inside the place smacks of what will soon be an urban legend.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Not trying to prove anything. Just shoiwng what HBO writes which I think confuses things more.

Draft saved Draft deleted