1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sopranos 6/10 -- THE END

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by PhilaYank36, Jun 7, 2007.

?

Is there going to be a movie?

1. Yes

16 vote(s)
    23.2%
  2. No

18 vote(s)
    26.1%
  3. Maybe

11 vote(s)
    15.9%
  4. Fuck you, David Chase

24 vote(s)
    34.8%
  1. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

He had how many guys with him in the safe house? He's got nothing to worry about from N.Y. for the near future.

Compared to a normal family, no. Compared to Whitecaps, yes. Remember, they were separated not so long ago. They're now having family dinners. I'd say it's pretty good with the wife.

He sure seemed happy/proud when the $170K number came out.

But don't you have to look at it this way: Weeks/months ago he tried to off himself. He's now got a job and looks pretty damned happy.

I don't think he's terribly concerned about Janice. He's going to get a "number" from N.Y. to help support her. Junior tried to kill him. I don't think he really cares what happens to him. And, unless they've got more on him than his lawyer thinks, he's not losing that case.

I still say things are looking up for him in nearly every aspect of life.

2. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

In no way did he look truly content at the end. Nor were we given any notion that he felt content at all in the last episode, which is the point of the show. As for his "family," he's never getting that cushy semi-retirement now. The guys in the safe house were stooges at best. His consigliere is all but dead, his brother-in-law is dead. Paulie's a pain in the ass, so much so he had to be guilted into taking a captaincy job. He doesn't like Patsy.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Well, mustard, we'll have to agree to disagree about the entire series, then.

I just can't fathom an interpretation of Tony as "happy" or his life as going good, but if that's your reading, I do see why you were frustrated with the finale.

To each his own.

4. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Not so much frustrated as disappointed in the quick cut to black. Otherwise, I thought it was pretty good.

5. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

hey, what else is on?

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Lots. Do you like gladiator movies?

7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Mustard, all due respect, but I think the entire point of the series -- not just the finale, but the series -- was that Tony could never be truly happy. Therapy did nothing for him. What happened when he and Carmella met with A.J.'s therapist, a blonde ringer for Dr. Melfi? Tony started right back into the stuff about his mother. What did Tony say previously about being the boss? "In the end, it's almost too much to deal with. You're all alone with it." None of that has changed.

Until Tony dies, or ends up in jail, there will always be a Phil. There will always be the threat of indictments. Carmella will always drive him crazy with her complaining and her materialism. A.J. will be a fuck-up forever. His daughter, who said for years that she wanted to change the world, will be just another big-money lawyer defending gangsters, and deep down, I doubt that makes Tony feel good.

Throughout the series, every time a supposed problem in Tony's life was dealt with or went away, another one popped up. That's the point. He cannot be happy.

People let you down, and in the end, you die in your own arms. It's all a big nothing.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Nothing - but at least one our favorite columnists is back with a bi weekly column to look forward too.

9. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Yes, mustard, I'm going with you and your, pun intended, walks like a duck, talks like a duck reasoning.

10. Simon_Cowbell

And, thus, Tony is as happy as he can be.

I don't think, based on his exile on main street comment, he's too broken up about Bobby getting whacked.

11. I agree that Tony, in the final scene doesn't feel the dread that we all have talked about. But it doesn't mean he doesn't feel some. He ALWAYS feels it. He's has said so himself on numerous occasions. In "Walk Like a Man", Tony says to Melfi (and not for the first time) “I’ve infected my kid’s soul! It’s in his blood—this f—in’ miserable existence!”

Happiness is all relative to Tony Soprano. In the final scene, he's about as happy as he can get, but it doesn't mean he's happy.

12. Simon_Cowbell

Some Journey notes:

In the track from the 1981 concert in Houston, Perry introduces Don't Stop Believin' by saying "Here's some new Escape music for you..."

Also, it ends, in the middle of a chorus, immediately after the words "Don't Stop." No doubt Chase derived some inspiration from that styling.

While I think this was the best Journey song to use (the piano as Carm comes in has gone from giving me a chill to bringing tears the most recent time I saw it), Wheel in the Sky and Still They Ride had the lyrical chops to make the end of the series as well. Faithfully, right there with DSB for me, works on some levels, but maybe not as much (drips with the conflict of the idea that Tony really is faithful to his family, if not sexually to Carm).

Maybe this kick will get Perry's ass in gear and get them to reunite for a tour. Hell, if the Police can reunite....

Wheel In The Sky
    Winter is here again oh lord,
    Havent been home in a year or more
    I hope she holds on a little longer

Sent a letter on a long summer day
    Made of silver, not of clay
    Ive been runnin down this dusty road

Wheel in the sky keeps on turnin
    I dont know where Ill be tomorrow
    Wheel in the sky keeps on turnin

Ive been trying to make it home
    Got to make it before too long