1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sopranos 6/10 -- THE END

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by PhilaYank36, Jun 7, 2007.

?

Is there going to be a movie?

1. Yes

16 vote(s)
    23.2%
  2. No

18 vote(s)
    26.1%
  3. Maybe

11 vote(s)
    15.9%
  4. Fuck you, David Chase

24 vote(s)
    34.8%
  1. loulou

loulou Member

This is not from AOL but from the newspaper. Aida Tururro is quoted as saying"when you finally get hit, you never see it coming and the world just goes black."
    This is not AOL or me, it is a member of the cast. Yell at her!

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I'm not yelling. You are. And when you gave us "the direct quote," you didn't say where it came from, so it seemed you were quoting Bobby.

Aida Turturro's quote, assuming you've accurately conveyed it, doesn't come from any of the dialog in the show, and it's not the Bobby quote on which the theory is based. People, including the actors, apparently, are revising Bobby's quote after the fact to fit the theory. That's all I'm saying.

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Not for nothing, but the actors in this show -- certainly anyone other than Gandolfini -- have no idea what the intentions of the writer are for that final scene. It's Chase's vision, script and he decided where to cut the camera. Klosterman makes this point in SDACP, but in some ways, the most embarassing show on television is Inside the Actors Studio, because vapid actors get on stage and try to talk about the "intentions" of their character. Their intentions and motivations belong to the writer. Aida Tururrow has about as much of a clue about the ending as I do.

And I think JD makes an appropriate point. If you want to make a compelling argument that Tony's dead, be accurate with your argument. 99 percent of us are here because we're journalists. To me, accuracy matters, even on a message board.

I still find it hilarious that people who fell in love with a show that was, essentially, literary fiction put to the screen, want it to have a conventional television ending. All this stuff about "Chase has a responsibility to the viewer" stuff is jibberish, and after reading the Daily News stories this week, I'm beginning to wonder if anyone on staff has ever read a single book in their life than didn't have pictures. The best thing that could have possibly happened was the ending Chase chose. Some people believe Tony's dead, because it confirms their vision of the show. Other people think he lives on, because letting your characters live is the greatest form of punishment in storytelling, and it confirms how they watched the show.

Both can be true.

4. loulou

loulou Member

I did say exactly where it came from on this page. I never said it was from an episode, but an interesting newspaper article from Jersey. If you could just look up that post you will understand the confusion.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Sopranos cast weigh in on finale...

http://www.eonline.com/news/article/index.jsp?uuid=9dfda70e-03f2-4ebd-ab5a-4f4375618162

6. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

We see Meadow come in from Tony's seat when it goes black if he gets whacked.

7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

?

8. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

loulou, you paraphrased Turturro's analysis earlier. Then, in the context of what was or was not Bobby's exact quote from the boat scene, you posted "the exact quote."

Now I see you meant the exact quote from Turturro, but at the time it appeared you were attempting to precisely present Bobby's quote, because of the context in the sequence of posts preceding yours. That's why I was confused.

I get it now. Thanks.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

And if, three years down the road, the movie comes out and Tony is sitting there big as life, what do you tell people who decided "their" version of the ending had Tony getting whacked?

Oops?

10. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I find it difficult to imagine, having read the Vanity Fair story about David Chase, that he would ever in a million years make a movie that picks up where the show left off.

Much more likely is perhaps a period piece that serves as a prequel.

Of course, when the money gets tight ...

11. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

oh screw it.

I loved the show.

But it's a friggin TV show.

I'm glad it's done. And that they went out on top.

I'm surprised Congress hasn't impaneled a committee to force Chase to explain himself.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Haul his ass down to Guantánamo Bay.
    They'll get the real story

Draft saved Draft deleted