1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sopranos 6/10 -- THE END

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by PhilaYank36, Jun 7, 2007.

?

Is there going to be a movie?

1. Yes

16 vote(s)
    23.2%
  2. No

18 vote(s)
    26.1%
  3. Maybe

11 vote(s)
    15.9%
  4. Fuck you, David Chase

24 vote(s)
    34.8%
  1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Hundred loonies say Tony does NOT die in the final episode.

2. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Also laid an egg on the Junior kill.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

It's a little over the top but here's a column from Salon:

http://www.salon.com/opinion/kamiya/2007/06/09/tony_soprano/

And this is one reason why the corrosive moral ambiguity of "The Sopranos" speaks to us. Like Tony Soprano at the start of the series, America is a little stressed these days, a little anxious. On the surface, everything is fine. Under our devoutly Christian leader, we are all highly moral. We have right and God on our side as we fight the evildoers. Except that, well, we've been feeling kind of weird. And, to tell the truth, we have a few skeletons in our closet.

Somebody whacked some of our crew, and we were scared, so we whacked Iraq. Just like Tony ordered the hit on Adriana. Steps were taken, as Sil would say. Except it turned out there were some unexpected consequences. We basically killed an entire country, and a whole lot of Americans, and people are dying all the time. And what are we doing? Nothing. We're going to the Bada Bing. We're having dinner at Artie's. Same old same old. Everything's fine. It's just fine.

Except that it's wearing us down, having this strange war that no one thinks about, and this president who keeps preaching about good and evil and how we're the greatest country in the world and why we have to keep fighting this "war on terror" that no one understands. And it's hard to say anything back to him because he's really prickly and self-righteous. It's kind of like having a really mean, manipulative mom -- the kind who says, "Take the knife out of the ham and stab me here!"

4. mltru2tx

mltru2tx Member

All I know is I'm about to undergo a severe case of TV depression. If anyone sees out by my pool with a ziploc hoodie on and a cinderblock in hand on the diving, please don't try to stop me. These hours leading up to 8 p.m. tomorrow remind me of when my girlfriend moved to NYC. We had about a month and a half left before she left and we spent pretty much every waking moment together, which was great, but in the back of my mind I knew soon things wouldn't be the same. That's how I feel now. Except it's regarding television. Sad.

Anyway, one of the things I'm looking most forward to is the closing music. Supposedly, Chase has had the final song in mind since the show began. It should be interesting to see what it is. I think the music's been really good this year (I know that's kind of subtle thing to notice).

5. ChrisLittmann

ChrisLittmann Member

The music has always been great. If you've got OnDemand for your service, catch the music special they did. Chase talking to a RS writer about how he picks things.

6. mltru2tx

mltru2tx Member

Yeah, that was cool. That's where I got that info from about the last episode.

7. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

WTF does Edie Falco get out of all of this?  A fucking espresso machine as a parting gift?[/send up of Paulie buying Carm an espresso machine]

Back to the Salon article.  Apparently that guy had too much time on his hands to dissect the Administration and comparing to The Sopranos. 

The thought of Kevin Finnerty at the ice cream shop with his family or by himself would be fucking unreal to see.

8. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Is anyone feeling a build-up of anxiety in them as we're now just under six hours to the show? My brain has been fraught with possibilities of how this could end, it's been so unnerving. Also, I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but has Chase filmed multiple endings for this? If so, he won't be hurting for money for the next 20 years or so...

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

He has filmed 3 or 4 endings according to a post earlier in the thread.
    And yes, I am getting very excited for tonight's episode, though I am worried it will be a letdown because I have too high of hopes.

10. mltru2tx

mltru2tx Member

Honestly, I think all of our hopes are probably too high, which isn't a good thing. Even if it is a letdown, it's still the best series in television history, in my opinion and it's been a great ride. Salud!

11. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I think, to be honest, there will be no final resolution, at least not in a traditional sense. It will be an ending that makes a lot of people very mad or frustrated, especially if they want a shoot out. At Zeke said, for David Chase, the plot doesn't matter as much as the psychology. Right before the big war is about to go down, someone in Phil's crew will flip to the Feds, and half the New York crime family will be locked up. Or, because they've been hinting at the theme of how the mob doesn't matter anymore because of the larger threat of terrorism all year, there will be a terrorist threat (or minor attack) that simmers down the entire mob war, and neither Tony, nor any member of his family, will be killed. Life will go on, any Tony will always be filled with dread, unsure of who will be around the next corner. The point will be that America has chewed up and destroyed another institution, like steelworkers and factor guys, and made the irrelevant. The romantic attachment to the mob that began with The Godfather will be will be finally torn down. There will be one final scene with Tony and Uncle Junior, and I think Tony will forgive him. That will be the only redemption or resolution there is. Junior will slump over in tears after Tony leaves, and possibly die. The last shot will have something to do with the ducks from the very first episode of the series. I think Tony and Paulie will be sitting in front of Satriale's, Paulie will go inside, Tony will see the ducks in the sky, flying overhead, he'll watch them until the disappear in the distance, he'll give a half-smile, and that will be it. The credits will roll. The End.

12. mltru2tx

mltru2tx Member

I think I could accept that ending, but count me in as one that wants a blood bath.

Draft saved Draft deleted