1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

South Carolina:

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by QYFW, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Is South Carolina even in the bottom five right now?
    North Carolina seems to be deathly afraid of catching teh gay and letting minorities vote.
    Alabama just fired its governor and is also moving backward socially.
    West Virginia and Arkansas will always be West Virginia and Arkansas.
    Louisiana is fast becoming a debt-ridden backwater hellhole.

Compared to those, South Carolina is moving up in the world.

2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Pennsylvania: State College and waitresses.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

What are Mississippi's redeeming qualities?

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

We have sweet tea, a governor who isn't about to be impeached, are treading water socially, and are just a touch more solvent than Louisiana.
    We're checking in around No. 44 these days. So South Carolina is getting even closer to escaping the bottom 10.

cranberry likes this.
  5. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

South Carolina is apparently a good place to retire. A friend moved from PA to Columbia after retirement. WTF moment for me, but apparently it's a thing. Better taxes, etc.

6. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Oh, I could see retiring in either the Greenville or Charleston areas, but I wouldn't want to raise kids there.

Donny in his element likes this.
  7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That would have been my concern, but my brother managed it. He has been in the suburbs of Charleston for over 20 years. My older nephew is an engineer and my niece is a nurse, so they both managed. My younger nephew is starting college in the fall. The cost of living there helps make up for a lot.

8. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Go South Carolina! And take Alabama with you.

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I was in South Carolina for the first time last year and had a great time.

Of course, I spent all of that time in Charleston and Hilton Head. I understand those two places may not be particularly representative of the rest of the state. Outside of those cities, it seemed to be an economy based mostly on Confederate flags and fireworks stands.

10. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Blues.

cranberry likes this.
  11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Arkansas is feeling quite kill'y.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

We almost moved to Greenville a decade ago when my wife had a job opportunity. Thought the area had a ton going for it -- great little downtown with shops, green space, cool minor league ballpark, growing industry in the surrounding area including a BMW plant. Just didn't pull the trigger on the gig. Would have been closer to my family in Charleston, which is so terrific. My folks moved there when I was in college, first time I visited I asked them why I couldn't have spent my high school years there instead of in suburban Atlanta.

Draft saved Draft deleted