1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sporting News Today thread (what do you think?)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by steveu, Jul 22, 2008.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I totally understand what you're saying there ... but you almost have to give them that. You know that there are some beancounters in the room telling them that they have to skew toward the 18-30 crowd.

I've reached the point where, if I can find good information in between the "cool" shit, I'm happy.

2. accguy

accguy Member

So far, I kind of like it. Not sure how much I'll look at it on the weekends, but to me it seems like a nice way to start your day and get caught up.

I have found myself going to the big sports sites a little less because the shelf life for things to stay on the front page seems so short and I don't have the attention span to search and search.

I like that I can just cruise through the pages and if it's a topic I don't love (say NASCAR), I can simply read the headlines. But I can also dig deeper into things I like.

I agree with those people who think there might be a bit too much football in there for their tastes. I would also like to see a little more golf.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Yes. 7:06 a.m.

Might have gotten kicked into your spam folder.

4. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

It's not supposed to The National. Why would it? Who wants to follow that into the grave?

The National was a sportswriter's wet dream, but there weren't enough readers with the time to read a daily SI. I'm in the business and I eventually got backlogged on them.

5. apseloser

apseloser Member

I talked to an editor there today. He said they've received 1,100 e-mails from readers since launching. All but 12 have been glowing.

They'll never win with a lot of people on this board but I love what they're doing (albeit being a little biased because I'm a fan and know people there). I heard D'Allessio talk a couple weeks ago at the MPI session in St. Louis. He was talking about this product and said up front they're not going for enterprise but for news, analysis, stats and such.

He said enterprise is for APSE contests (note my handle); readers want news. He's right. Y'all who think the future's in enterprise haven't been paying close enough attention to circulation numbers. (He also said the magazine will have loads of it. We shall see).

6. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Well then! I guess I'm convinced.

7. Babs

Babs Member

I finally had a chance to scan through it. The highest marks would be for design -- looks very clean. The use of photos is also good.

Agree on way too much football. Maybe put half the football at the end, so that if people want to have more they can but they don't have to slog through it to get to other sports. If football fans were online more than other readers, it might make sense, but that isn't the case.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

They're doing that on a page they call the "Overnight Report" which appears to be specifically aimed at wrapping up the games (and possibly the news) that happened too late to make the East Coast papers. I suspect what they're thinking is that readers will grow accustomed to late-game coverage being in that spot every day.

9. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

They need copy editors.

Just saw "aline" for "align."

10. Bru

Bru Member

Going forward, copy editing will be the first casualty. Between tight budgets and the need for speed, you'll see more and more errors like this cropping up. Publishers also will make the calculation that such mistakes will not be deal-breakers for readers.

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

You hear that out there?

;D ;D ;D

12. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

You're better than that.

Draft saved Draft deleted