1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sporting News Today thread (what do you think?)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by steveu, Jul 22, 2008.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Boooolshit.

When there are jackasses out there waiting to count the minute errors one by one, boooooooolshit (not you, jgmacg).

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Maybe it was alien misspelled.

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

or a lien.

4. micman305

micman305 New Member

Couple of random thoughts...

First off, I hope this works. A friend of mine gave me a few old Sporting News issues from the 80s, and it's clear how essential they would've been as a sports fan in their day.

I wish they would put all the American/National League boxscores on the same page, and not fool around with the late-game page, at least for the boxes...One of the big ways I can see myself using this is to print the boxscore pages to have propped up as I run or whatever.

I wonder how tough it would be for them to tailor the SN Today to your preferences as a fan. I'm sure they just want to see what demand is like for this incarnation of the SN now and build from there, but I wouldn't think it would be too hard to give each subscriber a survey when they sign up, asking them to rank their preferences in terms of sports and in terms of teams (eventually), and setting up the issue accordingly. I like the fact that other sports (i.e.-the NBA, NHL) are in there, but I'd prefer them to be somewhere in the back where I don't have to deal with them.

All in all, though, this is a start, and I really hope it works for them.

5. Mitch E.

Mitch E. Member

Did anyone else have problems with today's edition?

When I click the link it tells me this: "This is a restricted site. In order to access this magazine, you must enable cookies on your browser."

Well, I'm running Firefox 3, and my cookies are enabled. I can click on the "Pages" link and see all the pages, but when I hit "Content" I get the message again, except for once, I got a message telling me that they are aware I am having a problem, that they are sorry and they are looking into it. ??!!

I should add that I just ran CCleaner on my PC, and I know that deletes some cookies, but I can't figure out what that has to do with me accessing TSN.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I was disappointed there wasn't more meat in the Sunday edition. Like a feature or something.

Of course, that might be years of newspapers affecting me.

7. Mitch E.

Mitch E. Member

Nevermind, damn CA Firewall.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

I agree with that.

And the best of the week in TSN Daily Quotes? I'm sorry, that was lame. It would have been OK next week. But you guys have been around four days. It's a little early to start looking back.

9. bp6316

bp6316 Member

Just looked through Monday's edition and I think this is a great example of what this product can be. Granted, Monday is your best opportunity to do great stuff...but if they find a way to produce today's results consistantly, I'm in.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Not about to go wading through all of these pages, and I did not quickly find it on the site...

What will the cost to subscribe to this?

$10 a month? More? Less?

11. Shoot, I'm pumped about this new product, I really like it and suddenly out of nowhere I don't get Sunday's or Monday's editions.

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Where exactly did you find this greatness of which you speak? I saw very little original content, a lot of wire copy and static agate with all the limitations of a newspaper. I will NEVER pay for this crappy product.

If USA Today were to upload its sports pages as PDF files (instead of displaying content on a versatile, more navigable Web site), it would still be far superior to this. I'm not impressed and I have no clue as to what market its trying to attract.

Draft saved Draft deleted