1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sporting News Today thread (what do you think?)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by steveu, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

The non-profit Minnesota Post, while announcing staff additions, kills its online PDF product:

Beginning today, we're dropping the MinnPost in Print feature. Readers will continue to be able to print stories from the site. But as more and more of you are reading MinnPost online, we found too few readers were using MinnPost in Print to justify continuing putting together a printable summary of the site.

http://www.minnpost.com/stories/2008/07/28/2705/note_to_readers_minnpostcom_expands_coverage

I do not see how this Sporting News format is going to work.

2. Mitch E.

Mitch E. Member

It's free, all you do is enter your email.

3. TheHacker

TheHacker Member

Agreed ... they could probably save a bundle by dropping their page designers and just loading the copy onto their Web site. And then use an e-mail blast that captures the front page of their site and sends it out to everyone, reinforcing the idea that they've become a daily operation.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

And they claim it will stay free.

5. bp6316

bp6316 Member

Oh I didn't say it would work long term. It probably won't. I'm just saying I like it. :)

6. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Meanwhile, SN Today is now available as a PDF.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

They finally took my advice. :D

8. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Rather than start a new topic ...

...I'm convinced that nobody edits this thing anymore. I can usually spot three or four errors per issue, but seeing the phrase "mutually exclusively" 13 words into the front-page story today just made me give up reading it this morning.

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

So you were the guy who was still reading it.

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Uh-uh. I think there are plenty of people still reading it.

11. GRUDGE

GRUDGE Member

I LOVED it at first...first. I would wake up early and it was there.

Now it doesn't usually arrive until later morning afternoon.

Right now it is 11:10 EST AM and it isn't here. ::)

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I never notice that, because I'm usually not up until noon. But yeah, that is shooting oneself in the foot.

EDIT: Just checked my inbox, and the last three have arrived at 6:57, 7:05 and 7:00 a.m. Eastern.

Draft saved Draft deleted