1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Bloggers in the Press Box

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SMJKeith, May 17, 2007.

1. Reel E Reel

Reel E Reel Member

Glad I could accomodate you.

Now, no reason for anymore thoughts from ya.....

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Yes, that's it, all of us "old boy media guys" are jealous of Joe Fan Boy and his silly blogs, not to mention his loyal legion of 8 buddies that actually read it.

And our jealousy is evident by the fact that we decided to go on a message board and create a thread which is nothing more than whining because professional teams and Division I colleges don't take us seriously enough to credential us......

Just Keeping it Real, Yo

3. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

this credentialing flap underscores something we tend to forget about journalists.

we're not licensed. there's no professoinal certification.

doctors, lawyers, contractors, electricians, plumbers, and teachers require certification.

journalists never have, and hopefully, never will. can you imagine your State House controlling the certfication process? How about the federal government? Would you want Monica Goodling deciding whether you are licensed?

the mainstream sportswriters who claim a loftier perch than bloggers or community newspapers are simply voicing a conceit. nothing sets them apart other than the size of their audience and paycheck.

"professionalism" in journalism is a state of mind - anybody can attain it.

4. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Right because there is no differnce between Buster Olney or Peter Gammons and Jack Flack from the Sioux Falls shopper. That might be the dumbest shit I have ever read.

We aren't saving lives, I'll grant you that, but more often than not the thing that seperates the guys from the New York Times and the guys from the Podunk Press Weekly Shopper is talent, is instincts for the job and reporting skills.

5. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

you're a hothead - congratulations.

possibly, talent, instincts and reporting skills may separate them. but remember, the reporters at the big papers often get fat and lazy. you know plenty of them. and the reporters on the way up are hungry. a lot of important stories are broken and developed by smaller media.

you really never know where a good journalist is going to turn up.
    i think the mainstream media is fighting a losing battle in this - they can't have it both ways.

in other words, you can't refuse to be licensed, and then turn around and tell somebody they're not deserving of credentials because they're not....what? because they're not credentialed.

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

Ditch the 25-point lime-green script, please.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Double J, a person like that (not zagoshe, but the person he is riffing on) is what the easy button is designed for.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Schickel's fighting the last war. And he sounds terrible, doing it.

9. KG

KG Active Member

I'm curious. What do some of you consider to be paying dues?

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

When your organization sets up an assessment, you should pay it.

8) Sorry, couldn't resist.

11. Reel E Reel

Reel E Reel Member

I'm not sure if your ignorance is feigned or intentional.

Have you not been reading what bacon has been discussing? Have you not read the details in the comments?

No one is talking about Joe Fanboy and his 8 readers. We are talking about blogs that draw 100's of thousands of readers.

You are arguing against points that no one is even making. It's wonderful that you are so staunch in your ideas and thoughts, but try addressing the ideas and thoughts that are being discussed here. You are arguing with yourself.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Cool it with the lime green please, and change your sig. Thanks.

Draft saved Draft deleted