1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor -- Jackson, MS (Clarion-Ledger)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by steveu, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Lots of guesses, and they're all low. It'd be at least somewhere in the 50s.

2. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

You confident in that statement?

3. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Very low for what actual pay will be.

4. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

5. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

I have no information about pay for the sports editor's job in Jackson. But a friend of mine at a major metro (considerably larger than Jackson, in an area with a considerably higher cost of living) that is looking for a sports editor said his paper hired its business editor last year for a bit less than $60K (the job paid $90K back in the day). He also said the paper intends to stick to that pay scale if it decides on an outside hire as the sports editor.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
  6. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

A Gannet shop, Bronco?

I can't speak for Gannet but I did go from one paper to another within the same company several years back, doing essentially the same job (just switched from news to sports) and my pay went up about 10-12%. (it also happened right as gas prices started falling, so it was like a double raise!)

7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

8. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

Not a Gannett paper, but its cost-cutting tactics and newsroom structure are quite similar. The only things it doesn't have -- yet -- that these Gannett papers have are crazy beats and job descriptions.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

10. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

A former colleague left a pretty decent gig a few months ago to join one of these Newsrooms of the Future -- not Nashville, not Jackson -- and just quit this past week. "The worst experience of my professional life," he said.

11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I got a cold-call email from Gannett last week recruiting me to be content coach at one of its mid-level papers. I didn't know whether to laugh or scream, so I melted down my laptop in the oven and then had the oven thrown into the river.

The gushy come-on was nauseating:

I found your profile on Linkedin today, and I wanted to reach out to you about a new leadership position we have in Blahhville, USA. We’re calling it a content coach – the title is part of our new “Newsroom of the Future” reorganization process, but it’s really the No. 2 position in the newsroom – essentially the managing editor.

... ... ...

If you have any interest in this new role, or know of someone who might be, I would be most thrilled to discuss it with you. Let me know if you have questions or if there’s a good time for us to talk.

I look forward to hearing from you.
    With kindest regards,

Mary Jane RottenCrotch
    Corporate Talent Acquisition

Bronco77 likes this.
  12. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I think I knew her, before I joined the Marines and went to the 'Nam.

Draft saved Draft deleted