1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Pocatello Idaho

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Jersey_Guy, Aug 8, 2006.

1. mose

mose Member

Nor do I miss it. Was there just shy of five years, and made many close friends, the majority of whom still reside in Pocatello. What I miss is those acquaintances, mostly because I see those people maybe only once every three or so years, and establishments like the Press Box and Buddy's, where I spent many an hour drinking beer and bitching about the ISJ. But the town as a whole and the paper -- not one bit.

That said, the ISJ isn't a bad gig, especially if you're just starting out in the business. You get a chance to cover a lot of cool things -- Idaho State has it moments, and District V is easily the best high school region in the state -- and the work load is relatively light, although no one who works there thinks so at the time. It's a good place to get experience and clips, then get the hell out of.

So Idaho, your persuasion isn't condusive to Press Box patronage? What are you, a Boise State alum?

2. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Just not a drinker or smoker. And my wife wouldn't go to a place with smoke in the air -- though the PressBox (and the rest of Poky) is now pretty much smokefree. Plus, the Pressbox was the opposite direction from work and home for me. I live up on the hill near the hospitals.

My wife and I were just too busy with her job, my job and our kids to go out and do much. But Poky was good to us in many ways.

3. storyteller

storyteller New Member

Thank you for the trip down memory lane. Yes, I know the ISJ, Buddy's (great salad dressing) and the Press Box. Also, there used to be a great burger joint at the outskirts of town called the Wagon Wheel.

Randy Rehrer, Herb Williams, Brent Koetter are just some of the names from the past.

4. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Perhaps, but anybody who takes themselves that seriously falls under the category "kick when down"

5. TRS-80

TRS-80 New Member

No one should forget the classic stock car racing Pocatello features on Saturday nights in the summer. An evening of getting dust and rubber blown in your face was far better than one sitting on the desk next to Brundage listening to him tell you how NO ONE put together more bang up agate pages than he did. Yep, Bob, you were overachieving by venturing beyond the agate page.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

you're a man of conviction lester. i hope i don't piss you off more than the one time i already have.

7. JD Canon

JD Canon Guest

I don't know BS personally. Never worked for, with or against him. But I applied for a job at the ISJ when I graduated college, and he called me personally to tell me that although they had already offered the job to someone else, that he truly appreciated the work I had done in my clippings package.

Never talked to him ever again, but in a frustrating summer after I'd already been turned down for about a bajillion internships and was struggling to find a gig, it really inspired me and helped me keep a positive attitude. If he still reads this, I'll thank him for that.

Like I said, I don't really know what else he's about. But his interaction with me was a lot more stand-up than the treatment I've gotten from some other "professionals" I've worked with. It's kind of sad he had to go down like this.

8. Ben There

Ben There Guest

Is it too late to play the Garth Hall card?

9. mose

mose Member

If you're going to resort to that, Ben There, then I'll have to pull two vintage jokers from the ISJ/ISU deck. How about Jim Boutin and Tom Jewell?

10. TRS-80

TRS-80 New Member

Does anyone have an Alfredo Anderson card in their deck?

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I'll raise you a Shirley Huyett.

12. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Ughhh. I was there for that fiasco.

From conference champ with everyone coming back, to a skidmark of a season with players revolting and a firing halfway through her first year in town.

What a mistake that entire deal was.

But nothing tops the ShopKo Five.

Draft saved Draft deleted