1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Illustrated (Reggie Bush cover)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Piotr Rasputin, Jul 21, 2006.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

It probably passed the point of being actively interesting on a consistent basis 10 or 15 years ago.

After that, I simply resubscribed out of inertia -- and also, because it was a gift my dad had given me.

It's just been in the last few years that the magazine got shitalicious enough, consistently enough, for me to make the proactive decision to dump it. I don't have 5-7 minutes a week to waste on that shit any more.

2. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

LJB and Starman,

Notwithstanding a couple of the general statements you've both made about SI's decline over the years, I'll ask you the same question that I asked of DyeP: What, exactly, has gone wrong?

Is it the writing? The packaging? The pictures? The sensibility? The fact that it's been overtaken by so many other media?

If either of you has the time or inclination, I'm genuinely curious. And would be genuinely grateful for your thoughts.

3. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

I don't give a shit what the journalism community is wringing its hands about. My point was that SI writers are working under different conditions than they were 20 years ago. There was a time when all they had to worry about was the weekly magazine. That's no longer the case, and it's one of many factors that may have diluted the overall quality of the magazine. I'm not asking anyone to shed any tears for them. Jesus. Is it possible for anyone to respond without some wiseass, sarcastic comment?

4. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Sounds like they are working under the same conditions the rest of the community faces.

Are you now saying the quality of the magazine has been diluted?

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The answer to your last question seems to be no. Unfortunately.

We at SportsJournalists.com seem to be in more of war mode than Israel-Hezbollah.

6. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

SI has a lot of guys who are trying to turn water into wine. Just write the story. The readers aren't stupid. This industry has a really fucking bad habit of looking down on its good, long-paying customers. They don't always want filet mignon when a filling burger will do just as good. This remains a very simple idea that has been expressed here many, many times.

SI has too many people jumping up and down on the page like Daffy Fucking Duck, hollering "Hey, LOOK AT ME!" Too few people at SI willing to impact the sports culture in a meaningful way. Name the last SI guy who stroke a blow for he people's journalism? For good or bad, that was Jeff Pearlman. And it was damn near 10 years ago.

7. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Fair enough. Thanks.

8. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Except the rest of the community isn't being held up to the standards of SI at its finest.

If you look back at my previous posts, you'll see that I said SI has its problems. I'm not contradicting myself by saying the quality of the magazine has been diluted. Most of the stuff in the front of the magazine, like SI Players and The Beat, is fan magazine bullshit that I could do without. But the stories are still pretty goddamn good for the most part.

9. Herbert Anchovy

Dude, save the patronizing for the company suite, if you please. You asked for an honest opinion.

10. DyePack

DyePack New Member

There you go again, showing your obvious bias.

I think they've gone downhill in the last 15 to 20 years. We have now argued in a circle back to the original point.

11. Herbert Anchovy

I intentionally placed one strawman next to another (viz., AP) as an example. So they could hold hands.

I have not been personally disrespectful during this discourse. If that's what you want, we can do that.

12. Jones

Jones Active Member

Lee, dude, you've been looking for excuses to be pissed off lately.

"Fair enough. Thanks." Gosh, you're right. Can't believe jgmacg is being such a prick.

Draft saved Draft deleted