1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter - Key West, FL

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Zads07, Jun 5, 2015.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Doesn't this paper have an opening every year?

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Seems that way. Like I told my wife when we talked about it, it's not like this job won't come open again.

I'm not entirely sure that's an indictment on the paper itself, though. Key West as a whole seems to have a pretty transient population, from the military to the tourists and tourism-based economy, to the folks who only spend the winter or summer there. If the island's population is about 25,000, I'd venture a guess that half that number has lived there more than 10 years.
    It's a gorgeous place, but I can see how the expense and isolation can lead people to treat their residency as an extended vacation instead of a chance to lay down roots.

3. djdennisOU

djdennisOU Member

My mom lived there for about 7 years before moving to the Orlando area. It's possible to live there and make money, but it's VERY hard. A lot of people seem to move there on a whim and then realize they've made a mistake in planning so aren't able to stay as long as intended.

BDC99 likes this.
  4. Sports Guy

Sports Guy Member

I would have to live in a van down by the river at Key West, but it would be a great gig, I'd like to think.

5. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

You either have to be really rich or always drunk to enjoy living in Key West.

SFIND likes this.
  6. Hokie_pokie

Hokie_pokie Well-Known Member

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Vombatus likes this.
  7. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I vote for being both.

Big Circus and Hokie_pokie like this.
  8. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

I've always thought Key West was the ultimate "great place to visit, wouldn't want to live there" place, mainly because of the cost of living. Indeed, it is one of my favorite places to visit. But if you don't earn a lot of money or aren't a trust-fund baby, you'll need to work two jobs to make it there.

9. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

I've never been to Key West but is there really any business there where someone could make a living good enough to live in Key West? Outside being a doctor or lawyer?

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Your coverage area may be the Lower Keys, but I'm thinking you'd still be rolling up a lot of mileage. Unless just about everything is a call-in.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

That's what it was like in Hilton Head when I spent a year and a half there as a reporter.

12. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Terpsichorean ecdysiast. Rolling in it.

Draft saved Draft deleted