1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter - Las Cruces (N.M.) Sun-News

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by NMSportsGuy1986, Feb 14, 2024.

1. NMSportsGuy1986

NMSportsGuy1986 New Member

Last edited: Feb 14, 2024
  2. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

Travel with NMSU teams?

3. NMSportsGuy1986

NMSportsGuy1986 New Member

I can't speak to what they are doing currently. I covered NMSU basketball when I was there and the only road games I went to consistently were UTEP, New Mexico and Grand Canyon. Also went to the WAC Tournament and the NCAA Tournament, if NMSU made it.

I also went to two NCAA Softball Tournaments when NMSU was in the Tucson Regional.

For football, the beat writer would always go to the UNM and UTEP games and some regional ones, like Arizona State. They did travel to the Quick Lane Bowl in Detroit in 2022. The Sun-News didn't have a sports reporter for much of this past football season and they didn't go to the C-USA title game at Liberty or to Auburn, a game NMSU won. However, Gannett sent an El Paso Times sports reporter to Albuquerque for the New Mexico Bowl to cover for the Sun-News. The Sun-News also sent its photog to the New Mexico Bowl.

My guess would be travel to NMSU road games at UTEP and UNM, conference football title game/basketball tournament, bowl game and NCAA Basketball Tournament.

This is also a one-person department now and it was two when I was there.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2024
    JPsT and RonClements like this.
  4. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

RECORD SCRATCH

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Lots of sunshine. I liked Cruces the two times I visited there. NMSU is such an outlier, they should be in the Mt. West.

Draft saved Draft deleted