1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sportswriter, Roswell Daily Record

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by TrooperBari, Feb 1, 2007.

1. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

As much as the gig is getting ripped, I will say the problem does not lie with Andrew Poertner. I mostly dealt with him back then, and he was very patient, helpful and professional.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Andrew is a good guy. Great photog.

3. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I'm always a little stunned when I see his name still listed as the contact. Poertner's a great guy and a pro and I guess he must really like his gig, because he could certainly be an effective ME at a bigger paper if he wanted to do so.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I think he's really comfortable there. When you've got a good handle on a situation, why up and leave just for the hell of it.

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Wow, I can't believe they pay a flat fee for mileage each month rather than per mile. If they tried to make me drive somewhere for a state tournament, I'd probably tell them to fuck off.

6. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

We do the same thing at my shop. Everyone gets a check, too, not just the reporters.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Well, it says ..

<blockquote>We also reimburse reporters for travel outside the city. If you’re sent on assignment outside the city limits, (sports does this frequently) you receive 25 cents a mile.</blockquote>

... so it's not like that.

8. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

25 cents per mile. Just a bonus, really, for the joy of driving down past fish-shit-scented Dexter to oil-refinery-scented Artesia, home of the freaky-intense AHS Bulldog boosters. The main street's lit up like the top of the fucking Chrysler Building. What a bizarre town. Drank lots of Allsup's coffee and ate lots of beef jerky on that road. The Roswell-Artesia run. Certainly a lot easier than the Roswell-Clovis run. That one's a ballbuster.

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I guess it would have helped if I would have read the entire thing.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

surely you jest.

11. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Of course.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn. i was hoping you were the SE there and were going to hire me.

Draft saved Draft deleted