1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Spurrier: Take that damned flag down

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ServeItUp, Apr 15, 2007.

1. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I love Charleston. It's one of my favorite cities in America. Love, love, love that place.

And if you're speaking of Newport, Tenn., well ... it's not the finest place the state has to offer. We all have them. That's one of ours. One of the prettiest geographical areas in America, but full of racists.

2. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

I retract my statement about the elephant having a racist story behind it. It's been years since I heard the story, but I just looked it up and it was about an elephant that was hanged in Erwin, Tenn. What made me think it had to do with race, I'll never know.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Hey JJIT you are way behind on that debate. Check your SportsJournalists.com archives.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

thanks to those who replied for my benefit on this topic. the flag and what it stands for always has intrigued me, but it's a subject you simply can't google and walk away with the full impact.

it's obvious not too many folks who grew up in the south hold indifferent feelings concerning the flag.

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

When I was in college there was a football player on campus who regularly waved the Confederate flag at basketball games in an attempt to rile up the crowd. He was well known on campus because his father was quite prominent in the football business.

This player is now in upper management of an NFL team. I'll bet he's awfully glad there weren't video cameras and You Tube around back in the day or he'd have some explaining to do.

6. This was inevitable.
    http://www.thestate.com/188/story/36411.html

Love the Imus reference.

7. Leo Mazzone

Leo Mazzone Member

wow.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Would he settle for toothless redneck hos?

9. \
    I don't know either, but it's a helluva story.

[​IMG]

10. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Gettin' a gummer while drivin' a Hummer...it's the American way.

11. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Where I'm from, yes.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I appreciate that the flag is part of southern heritage, but folks who display the flag also need to understand the negative connotations it has grown to symbolize with its use by the Klan and Nazis. The swastika was an ancient symbol long before Hitler, but I doubt anyone would be caught dead waving a Nazi flag at a football game. You don't see Russian flags over the Alaskan capital or the Mexican flag over the California capital. Hey Confederates - you are in America now. If you don't love America why don't you leave. The War is over and Sherman dropped the big one.
    Props to Spurrier for the brave stance (especially in South Carolina, the reddest of Red States) - too often coaches are considered brave just for supporting the BCS!

Draft saved Draft deleted