1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stanley Cup Playoffs Thread...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by nafselon, Apr 19, 2006.

1. soccer dad

soccer dad Guest

beef,

you are way too quick to toss aside thunderlips point about the playoff ots. the nhl will have a major decision to make in the near future about its tv package. just wait until the first night nbc stations lose their local news because a game goes into quadruple ot. (thats if it happens, since the new penalty calls will make those games much rarer than before.)

think about it: nhl tv ratings are miniscule, and the biggest problem in the united states is that most fans dont really care once their team is out. so, lets say youre in oklahoma city (or even philadelphia if the flyers are gone) and your late local news is wiped out by a looooooooong game. you are going to freak. same thing happened to abc in the previous contract. remember the night reagan died? abc wanted to move the freaking game -- game 6 of the stanley cup final.

now, one thing nbc loved was the shootouts. the first two weeks that network did games, it had shootouts. the fans go bonkers, and the games get off the air on time. so, what the nhl will be faced with is some nbc bigshot looking at the numbers -- which will be weak compared to, say, law & order -- and saying, "you wiped out our news on some nights. our affiliates went apeshit. and this great piece of entertainment you have, this goal-scoring competition thing, its outstanding! great entertainment! best thing about your game! why arent we showing it? you know what, mr. commissioner? you want this to stay on a main network? get to our news on time, because even at no rights fee, this is costing us money and local ad revenue."

dont think it wont happen. now, bettman is on record as saying he wont have a shootout in the playoffs. but, there are whispers around the nhl that what has been discussed is going to four-on-four after the first 20-minute ot.

and once you break with tradition, who knows how far theyll go. if the league -- and the pa -- decide that nbc is more important that six overtime games, i have no faith theyll make the right decision.

2. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Sullivan is just amazing, one of my favorite players to watch in the league. The new rules have really benefited a guy like him. When Nashville has him, Kariya and Zidlicky going on the power play, that thing is pretty sweet to watch. The problem is, Sullivan and Zidlicky have been hurt the past couple weeks heading into the playoffs.

3. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I know there will be network pressure to shorten up the overtime with shootouts and other forms, however, until that happens, I don't think there will be that big of a difference on how long playoff overtimes last. You will still have the odd game go double or triple overtime.

4. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

You're damn right we hate Calgary, with every fibre in my body. however, I did try to take an unbiased approach to this. Quite simply Anaheim is a more dangerous team than Calgary. Calgary has one real goal scorer on that roster, Jarome Iginla, I think he finished with like 66 points. The Oilers had 4 or 5 players score more points than Iggy did this year. If it wasn't for Kipper's MVP calibre performance this year, the Flames would not be the third seed this year, they would be lucky to make the playoffs. I have even had friends who cheer for the Godless Flames admitt as much. They are solid defensively and obviously in net, but they can't score. They battled the Blues all season for the least offensive team in the league. Anaheim is a more rounded team than the Flames, and Giguere has proven in the past he is just as capable as Kipper of getting rediculously hot in the playoffs.
    Double or nothing

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

You'e on. :)

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

Maybe when a World Series game is still tied after the 10th inning, it should be settled by a home run derby. And if an NBA game is tied after one overtime, a slam dunk contest should decide the outcome.

Here's a better idea – if a network TV deal in the U.S. means giving up overtime in the NHL playoffs, tell the networks to stick it up their asses.

This isn't intended as a slam at you, soccer dad, I know you're just playing devil's advocate.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

And Colorado calls up our local superstar Wojtek Wolski from the out-of-the-playoffs Brampton Battalion.

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_3728700

First time in Ontario Hockey League history that a player has been recalled just for the NHL playoffs. Wojtek played nine games at the beginning of the year for the Avs.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

What is he being called up for? To run Mike Modano?

9. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I remember that. He was really starting to heat up and then they had the controversy of whether he should bve sent down or kept up. If he can pickup where he left off it will be a nice offensive boost for them, but it still does not solve their defensive and goaltending woes.

10. soccer dad

soccer dad Guest

no offence taken double j. however, i see a way it could happen. friedmans been saying it on radio for awhile now, that there will be pressure. we both hate the idea.

of course, the way nba tv ratings are going on abc, you might see the free-throw competition as well.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Sorry, I hit the image icon instead of the url icon on my first post attempt.

He's been brought back up to add some potential scoring.

This guy can flat out play.

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

"All I know is, that dyke can play." [/dodgeball]

Draft saved Draft deleted