1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stephen King's movies ranked

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Sep 7, 2017.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

His shorter works definitely have translated better to the big screen.

Shawshank and Stand By Me are 1 and 1A, really. I don't think I could choose one over the other.

I'm hoping the upcoming It films will end up near the top of this list.

2. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

No, different movie. Apparently it was made in 2016 and starred Samuel Jackson and John Cusack. Like the article above states, the book doesn't really stand the test of time because back then cell phones were somewhat new. Now, our phones are killing us, but in a different way. LOL

Cell (2016) - IMDb

I'm going to have to seek it out tonight on Firestick to see how terrible it is.

3. Apt Pupil is one my favorite King stories. Never seen the movie though, I'm afraid it will ruin things.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

That is not a 'good' movie, but, man, it is a good-looking movie.
    The dream/subconscious scenes just look great.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
    bigpern23 likes this.
  5. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

It's not terrible, but it does NOT do the book justice. That book (Different Seasons) may be King's best collection of novellas (at least in my opinion). SJ favorite Brad Renfroe plays the kid in Apt Pupil.

6. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Shawshank
    Stand By Me
    Misery
    The Dead Zone
    The Shining
    The Running Man (for Richard Dawson alone)
    Carrie

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I know at one point I honestly believed I had read every King novel up to and including 'Misery.'
    Now, when one can conjure such a list with a few keystrokes, it appears I missed a few in that run.
    Or I can't recall reading them.

8. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

The Shining is unquestionably #1 for me.

Threadjack: What about TV shows? Did he have any before Under the Dome (awful) and 11/22/63 (pretty good) hit?

9. Dead Zone and Kingdom Hospital.

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

They should re-release "Apt Pupil" in red state America theaters this fall and re-name it, "The Heroic Teacher."

11. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

It says at the top that they aren't including TV stuff (theatrical releases only). The "It" that made the list is the current movie, even though they made it confusing by talking about the TV series first.

12. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

This is not the reaction to Apt Pupil I would expect. Y'all slippin'.

Donny in his element likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted