1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stephen King's movies ranked

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Sep 7, 2017.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Current incarnation of "It" is Certified Fresh at 90 percent on RottenTomatoes. For comparison's sake, Shawshank and Stand by Me both came in at 91 percent, and The Shining hit 87 percent.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I was surprised when I saw the same thing earlier. The Chicago Tribune's Michael Phillips only gave it 2 stars.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Whether it's "It" or "True Blood" or "Aladdin" or "Moana" or "LOST," I feel like "shape shifters" are the biggest cop-out in literature/movies/drama.

The twist is ... he was all those things! And don't look now, but he's a big-ass spider!

Such an easy escape for a writer to build a bunch of drama without a destination.

YankeeFan likes this.
  4. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I have Monday off so I'm going to try to catch It. Looking forward to it based on the trailers and the buzz.

The Shawshank Redemption is a given as the best King movie.
    The Shining is subtly and at times not so subtly creepy. The Shining book >>> The Shining movie and I love the movie.

Dreamcatcher is a guilty pleasure. It's a good B movie that didn't intend to be a B movie. Also I can't hear about Dreamcatcher without immediately getting Blue Bayou in my head.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Cujo and Christine crack the top 10?

6. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

I still say "I Duddits!" every once in a while when I accomplish something. Nobody ever knows what the hell I'm saying, though.

7. bigpern23

"It" opens with $117M gross, the second-largest opening weekend for an R-rated film ever behind "Deadpool" with $132M. It would have beaten "Deadpool," too, if not for most cinemas in Florida and around Houston being closed.

Still, it's the largest ever September opening by more than double ("Hotel Transylvania 2" $48M), the largest fall opening by more than double ("Gravity" $55M), the largest opening for an R-rated horror movie by more than double ("The Conjuring 2" $52M) and the largest-ever opening weekend for a horror movie of any rating.

It beat this weekend's second-place movie, "Home Again," by $110M, the fifth-largest gap between first and second place ever.

So, uh, I guess people like "It."

8. bigpern23

Oh, and this is my favorite thing related to "It" this week:

9. Bump

Netflix is dropping "Gerald's Game." With hottie Carla Gugino in the lead role.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Speaking of The Shining, I've always loved this:

Chef2 likes this.
  11. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Christine is so fucking good. I'll watch that anytime it's on. Keith Gordon owned Arnie Cunningham.

12. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I loved the book "Christine" when I was in high school in the early '80s, but, truly, that movie is pure '80s schlock. That Plymouth Fury is a sweet car, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted