1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Steve Rushin - Soccer Nazi

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boom_70, Jun 13, 2006.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Dooley noted - If there is no protest within 20 minutes it will become part of the official record.

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

20 minutes? Won't take 20 seconds, but we tried...

3. Rushin had one worthy point (i.e., one more than usual).

Our incuriosity absolutely winds up damaging us in the interconnected, 21st-century world.

Tying that problem absolutely to soccer, however, would be the folly here.

4. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Um, sorry, but I'd already dissented to Buck before you started your 30-minute clock.
    No soup for you.

5. Boom_70

Too late - your dissent was before matter was up for vote.

Buck position is now part of the official sj record .

Tranlated to you columnist - stop effing telling us how we should conduct ourselves. We'll decide what we want to watch.

ESPN has found religion on soccer because they see a big payday -- nothing more.

6. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

They found a big pay day because people are interested.

Chicken before the egg, sir.

7. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I haven't watched a second of it, but word is the TV ratings are coming in huge.

8. Boom_70

Anything will be bigger than previous because ESPN never televised it as they are now.

9. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

It's not just bigger than previous, though. It's bigger than other sports. The number is big. M 18-34 is really big.

10. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Interesting statement since I've already posted how the last World Cup was shown...

They showed the games. They were just shown at about 3 and 5 in the morning. Then they had the "Game of the Day" shown later that night. This would be the "best" game of that morning, merely a replay.

Maybe you didn't pay attention to the last World Cup or ignored the previously pointing out how a statement like this would be. Both times, the Cup was shown live. Go back and check the ratings. It is the reason that every game is shown live now.

Oh and nevermind that the games are on during the day when most people that would be watching work.

11. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

As a whole, hockey has just as many fans as soccer (if not more) among ESPN's viewers. Yet, the Stanley Cup finals (a former ESPN property now being broadcast by OLN/NBC) is relegated to the backburner while we get All Soccer All the Time on SportsCenter. Not so coincidentally, ESPN/ABC is broadcasting the World Cup. Could there be a relationship there between the two?

12. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Two points are covered here:

1. Soccer has probably quadruple the fanbase of hockey. It isn't even a comparison.

2. I'm sure it isn't a coincidence. But if no one was watching, ESPN/ABC would not put it forward as much. As an example, see the amount of MLS highlights.

Draft saved Draft deleted