1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Steve Rushin - Soccer Nazi

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boom_70, Jun 13, 2006.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Radio sports talk host fill-in trainee.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Right. Because we all know you're the dictionary definition of self-serving restraint on this message board, Boom. ::)

3. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Trounced, it isn't barred. I just didn't understand the comparison. You seemed to imply that lacrosse will gain more viewership through a lack of interest in soccer. How this pertains to the current increasing interest in soccer, I don't know. A such, I pointed it out.

Well done.

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Until the U.S. scores. Or gets a shot on goal.

Enjoy your week.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

For one man's inspirational thoughts on this depressing faux-controversy, check jmgee.blogspot.com
          Yes, this is an ad for me
          No, I can't do links. My son hasn't taught me how yet, and he's not due for another visiit home for a week.

6. poindexter

As an aside, I can think of one high school close friend, and three college friends, all male, all whom played varsity football in high school, who had nothing but disdain for soccer at the time. All coach, or are intensely active in their sons' or daughters' youth soccer.

It's an endless source of amusement to me as to watch the transformation in these men.

Am I the only one?

7. trounced

trounced Active Member

I was thinking more in terms of youth participation. US success in this World Cup would likely to continue to fuel youth soccer participation, which has been very impressive. An early exit, which looks probable, may help lacrosse because there may not be the bounce in soccer participation after this World Cup that we have seen in previous years.

I contend that much of the youth participation is fueled by parents who want their children to be involved in what they view as a safe sport, before they move into the sport they really want their child to play, such as football.

Why can't the US men produce an Abby Wambach? She may have match up better with the Czechs than most of the men.

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Poindexter,

If they maintain their interest in the sport after their kids quit playing, then that's a conversion. My guess is once their kids stop, they'll go back to watching football.

9. jay_christley

jay_christley Member

I think Rushin was spot-on.

Are there Americans who have tried to watch soccer and didn't find it entertaining and have moved on? Yes. Are there large pockets of America where soccer (and the WC) will dominate conversation/entertainment for the coming month? Yes.

But I think, speaking generally, there are an exceedingly large number of our fellow countrymen who still dismiss soccer out of hand simply because (a) it's soccer and (b) it's something foreign. Just like there are a disturbingly large number of Americans who dimiss anything "we" didn't invent or perfect.

10. poindexter

I don't even think these men are that interested in the World Cup now. But it's still funny to see them coaching, or discussing soccer, when 20 years ago, they would have laughed at it.

Something happens to them when Kaitlin scores her first goal.

11. trounced

trounced Active Member

I don't mind watching women play soccer. It seems to be a sport better suited for women than men.

12. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

A few things...

1. Possible, but youth soccer participation has been on the rise. And this was noticeable despite the US' lack of showing in the '98 World Cup. Lacrosse is still viewed as a sport played by the privileged. It takes much more money. But, I can't imagine kids not choosing to play both. No real reason not to.

2. Parents do put their children in soccer because it is a "safe" sport. But I think it is also a cost factor. In soccer all you need is shinguards (<$20) and cleats (<$100). Compare that to what you need in any other sport, besides basketball, and you can see some of the added appeal.

Draft saved Draft deleted