1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stoney's He-Man Steeler Haters NFL Playoff Thread ... No Yinzers allowed

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Dec 29, 2014.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Nick Fairley is listed as doubtful for the Lions. If he can play half-effectively, the Detroit defense is capable of big plays on its own. Stafford still seems to make one or two ridiculous misplays per game, but if the defense comes up with a big turnover or two, it might not matter.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

"The Catch!1!!" doesn't figure into the equation though there resides in the statement room for "sample size" and body of work.

What I conveyed is that no one was better or productive the last 6 weeks.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Fair enough, though I think it is only human that some of those people who are so excited by Beckham are influenced by the catch.

No doubt, Beckham has been as productive as anybody in the game the last six weeks. My point was that I believe you should use more of a sample size in determining who is the best in the game. What does the comparison look like if you go back to Beckham's first game? It is still probably close, if not favoring the rookie.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

At the same time, Beckham doesn't do what he does if Cruz goes down.

As for betting ... I'd put a few bucks on Carolina and the under. Wasn't a soul who thought the Panthers would be here after that MNF debacle.

5. outofplace

I agree. Beckham was pushed into a larger role than planned due to injury, but that is part of the game. Roethlisberger was supposed to spend his rookie season watching from the sideline, then Tommy Maddox got hurt in the season opener.

6. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

No one is as talented at arguing a point that was never made.

7. outofplace

You don't think there are people out there who argue that Beckham is already the best in the game? I've heard the argument made. Of course, it is premature, but that doesn't mean it isn't being done.

8. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

No one on this thread said that.

9. outofplace

10. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I'd add Arizona to the can't-see-winning category. Ryan Lindley at QB, and the Panthers have been playing well lately.

Carolina should win in a defensive slugfest.

11. outofplace

As there was talk about a messy field in Pittsburgh, the latest forecast calls for cloudy, but dry conditions through the start of the game, with the chance of rain rising around 11 p.m.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

When did Thor start returning punts for the Panthers?

Vombatus likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted