1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stoney's He-Man Steeler Haters NFL Playoff Thread ... No Yinzers allowed

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Dec 29, 2014.

1. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Newton against the Seattle defense, if that's the way it turns out, is not going to be pretty.

2. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Panthers fans and people who want to continue believing Newton is a good QB are praying for a Lions upset.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

FWIW, the Seahawks are 6-2 all-time against the Panthers, with four of those six wins coming by six points or less and one of the losses by three points. One of those was a 13-9 Seattle win earlier this season.
    The last four meetings have all been in Charlotte, though. I have a hard time seeing Carolina going up to Seattle and winning or even keeping it close.

All that said, the dream of a Lions-Panthers NFC championship game -- and thus a 7-8-1 team hosting it -- remains alive for another day.

4. Mr. Sunshine

Feel bad for Fitzgerald if this is his last game as a Cardinal.

5. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Technically 8-8-1 now, but I get what you mean Bat. I am rooting for it too.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

That last disaster of a play cost Arizona about 20 yards, which gave them 78, the least amount of yards for a team in playoff history.

Previous record was 86, set by the Browns against the Giants for the division championship in '58.

The QBs for that game were Milt Plum (7 of 12) and Jim Ninowski (3 for 15). Jim Brown gained eight yards on seven carries.

I'll echo some one else. There was nobody out there better than Lindley? He didn't even do a mediocre job that could have given him a chance at a backup job next year.

7. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Arizona should have traded Cincy for AJ McCarron so we could have seen his hot mom Dee Dee again, and his gf. Would have made the game more entertaining.

8. Mr. Sunshine

Lindley benefitted from two things: he was used to the system (if not any good at it), and Palmer went down late enough that it limited the team's options. My guess is that Arians felt more comfortable bringing back a familiar guy at that point instead of someone who had to learn the system. Also, it was terrible luck for Stanton to then go down once Lindley was in fold. The Cardinals didn't bring Lindley back to start any games, especially in the playoffs, it just worked out that way. And in his defense, there aren't many third-string/practice squad guys who would have done much better.

9. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Let's not assume the Lions will be an easy out.

Even if Dallas survives them, Suh & Company will be stepping on ankles, legs, calves, kicking guys in the nuts. The Cowboys will be beat up.

If Detroit wins at Dallas, same thing for Seattle. The Seahawks might win but one of the Detroit linemen may step on Wilson's neck and leave him wheelchair-bound.

10. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

After seeing Lindley today ... how bad has Logan Thomas been? Wow.

11. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

That's the bigger story. Logan Thomas was given every opportunity to play but, even after the week of practice, Arians thought they had the best chance with Lindley.

The messed up part is... they have a decent chance until the botched kickoff.

12. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

No one, anywhere on earth, thought Logan Thomas was ready to play QB in an NFL game this year. So it's not surprising he didn't play.

Draft saved Draft deleted