1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Strikeouts are killing baseball

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, May 15, 2017.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Back during the 1981 strike, they had a college all-star game at Fenway. Watched it with then-Sox manager Ralph Houk. He watched a liner off an aluminum bat and said "if we used those we'd be burying six third basemen a season."

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

You're supposed to have him on blast!

dixiehack likes this.
  3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I know. It alerted me that someone responded to my post and I bit. I'm going to hate myself in the morning.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I see your point there, but don't you see the potential for use of the data by others to impugn Koufax?

5. Rainman

Rainman Well-Known Member

6. outofplace

Please note that I let that pass and focused on the topic. YF simply couldn't manage to offer the same courtesy.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

So what?

8. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I think I'd crap myself to see that coming at my generation direction.

9. outofplace

Many baseball fans love to debate who is the best among players from different eras. I'm not saying you don't want the data if you can get it, but I do think some would misuse it or at least fail to understand the true difference among players in those different time periods.

10. outofplace

John Kruk agrees with you.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

This is like arguing that we shouldn't time track or swimming events because of the chance that some people may not then appreciate the greatness of a Jesse Owens or Mark Spitz.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Well, people already do that anyway; there's no way to stop it.

I've read entirely serious pieces maintaining that Walter Johnson probably rarely broke 90 mph with his fastball.

The limited film footage we have of him actually pitching in game action was shot at irregular film speeds; corrected as accurately as possible it appears the Big Train may have only hit the low nineties.

Yet for 40 years it was pretty much an article of faith that he was the fastest pitcher ever, probably up to Feller.

Draft saved Draft deleted