1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Strikeouts are killing baseball

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, May 15, 2017.

1. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Fair enough. But then nobody should be complaining about the shift if it can be so easily countered within the current rules.

Rather than proposing rule changes to limit shifts, I hope teams increasingly shift more and more--to the point where that sabermetric equation changes and MLB teams realize they need batters with more rounded skills. The sport needs more who know how to skillfully place the ball and bunt, and fewer who just swing for the fences. The shift is a great way of illustrating that need.

Last edited: May 14, 2018
  2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I get the willies thinking about *more* rules.

I see what the NFL did with the catch rule.

John B. Foster likes this.
  3. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

In our softball league one time, I put my right fielder in foul territory. The ump correctly reminded me that everybody except the catcher had to start each play in fair territory. So I put the guy right on the foul line. The batter hit a high fly and my guy trotted over into the street and caught the ball.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Did he look both ways before entering the street?

ChrisLong likes this.
  5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Jeez, in our softball league we have an out of play line. For safety.

Draft saved Draft deleted