1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Strikeouts are killing baseball

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, May 15, 2017.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

How was Buehrle difficult to watch? His games were over in 2:20. My wife loved when he pitched when I was on the Sox. I'd be home an hour early.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Don't know, but here's an 18-pitch AB.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

In 2010, the Giants beat the Rockies 2-1 when Kaz Matsui hit a flyball to end a bases-loaded, 15-pitch at-bat against Brian Wilson. That was dramatic.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I don't think 6+-foul -ball at-bats is really a big problem in MLB; I'd guess it probably happens two or three times a game.

You can't put in a one-way penalty. There has to be a possible payoff for the offense too. You'd have to make it something like, on the fourth foul ball, if it hits the ground in foul territory, the batter is out, but if it goes in the stands on the fly, it becomes a base on balls. Some kind of linkage that if you hit the ball (relatively) solidly, you get rewarded, whereas if you just scuffle off a weak grounder, you're out.

But better yet, just forget it. If baseball has 1000 problems, at-bats lasting a dozen pitches or longer because of foul balls is about No. 973.

Last edited: May 16, 2017
  5. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

And if it goes through the clown's mouth it's a hole in one.

Dick Whitman likes this.
  6. Dick Whitman

• Too many pitches.
    • Too much time in between pitches.
    • Too many pitching changes.
    Those are baseball's three problems. Everything else is just like Republicans who want to solve budget issues by cutting programs that take up 0.1 percent of the federal budget.

bigpern23 likes this.
  7. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

A renewed focus on RAW would fix two of the three.

Happy birthday, Rick Reuschel! He proved that you could scatter hits and get Ws. He could field his position, handle the bat, and run the bases.

8. Dick Whitman

I don't know what "RAW" is.

9. cisforkoke

RAW focuses primarily on the lifeblood of baseball -- RBI and wins. It also utilizes the eye test and intangibles.

10. Dick Whitman

This does not answer my question.

11. cisforkoke

For your earlier post, it would fix the issues because pitchers would be focused on pitching longer, scattering hits, reducing pitch counts, and earning wins.

12. Dick Whitman

Teams should adopt a strategy that would lead to less wins over the course of a season in order to make the game more aesthetically pleasing for the likes of me?

Good luck with finding a first taker on that.

Draft saved Draft deleted