1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Studio 60 (12/4)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Columbo, Dec 4, 2006.

1. statrat

statrat Member

For anyone not wanting to get through the episode or who doesn't have it Tivo's: The O' Holy Night clip is here with more info on the musicians:http://www.nbc.com/Studio_60_on_the_Sunset_Strip/music/

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Has there ever been a thread with more misunderstandings than this one?

3. 2 cents on a lot of stuff already discussed:

-- Terrific episode.

-- I loved the N.O. musicians scenes as well, though I'm surprised I didn't get as emotional as a lot of folks here, because I, typically, am very prone to dust and/or onions.

-- It did get dusty/oniony (oniony?) in my house during the Asner/Weber exchange at the end. Goofy, huh? Maybe it's that I dream of a real-life journalism scenario in which a suit stood up for one of his underlings with such a common, idealistic attitude.

-- Echo the reflections of the WW Christmas episode with the deceased homeless vet, children's choir, Mrs. Landingham's sons, etc. I don't retain a lot of memories of old TV shows on an individual basis, but I may never forget that one.

-- Zizzer: I don't think I've ever seen anyone more defiantly incorrect in my life. I don't know if that's good or bad, but it's sure as hell been entertaining. Thanks, at the very least, for that.

(edit)
    I am ashamed. :-[ (See Shockey's ensuing post.)

4. shockey

shockey Active Member

fine points, all. except for the mrs. MANNINGHAM reference. it's LANDINGHAM.

sorry, we're sticklers when it comes to "west wing." 8) 8) 8)

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Watched it last night -- easily the best episode of the series. You know why? The people on Studio 60 weren't depressing or self-righteous. I'd like to see more real conflict within the cast, but hopefully that will come.

I must be cold and heartless, but the scene with the musicians did nothing for me.

6. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Is Mrs. Manningham from Michigan?

Great episode, though I agree that the "I'm Matt" line was a single somebody tried to leg out for a triple and came up a base or two short. They've gone really quickly from Danny Tripp having little personal to go on than a friendship and banter with Matt, but I think that was for effect, how suddenly the guy can be overcome by something.

Chris Hanson has been so ripe for a solid spoof like that. First fake sketch I've seen that would have really worked -- written and executed like the best show on a good SNL. And I think now that S60 is using the Nicolas Cage as its overdone, tired sketch that everybody likes even though it stopped being that funny on the first sketch. I like that.

Speaking of Hanson, there's a short animated clip going around the blogs/sites that's "To Catch The Predator" -- saw it like an hour after S60, but the premise is that the Predator from the Gov. Schwarzenegger flick gets caught in one of their raids. Sorkin/McKinney took a little of its thunder, but still worth watching.

I like the McKinney character -- curious about the family loss and grief side of his story and who it's inspired by. Seems very personal, and I like the idea of a comedy writer who can be on and yet not find anything funny anymore.

I really don't miss Ricky and Ron. I look forward to Peripheral Vision Man bombing sometime around February. The Asner-Weber interchange reminded me, for some reason, of a Letterman bit back in the 80s where, instead of paying to have a faroff star named for a loved one, you could have a hair on Ed Asner's back named after someone special in your life.

7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

The Trombone Shorty version of O Holy Night is now available, free, on NBC.com/studio_60_on_the_sunset_strip.

8. Jim Tom Pinch

Jim Tom Pinch Active Member

Thanks, I just (double) downloaded it.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Is there a way to download it? When I click on the link, it launches the song in the browser window.

10. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Either right click on the link (if you have a PC) or hold down the control button, then click on it with your mouse (if you have a Mac). A little screen should pop up, and one of the options should be "Save this link as..."

When you click that, it should download it and save it to the place you choose (I'd say put it on your desktop first, then drag it into iTunes) as an mp3.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The control button!

Thanks, I guess I should realized that when it said "control click" in the instructions.

12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I watched the episode again. Saved it on my Tivo.
    I noticed that the band guys and D. L Hughley all had the same pin on their coats.
    Does anyone know what the pin is for?
    I assume it has something to do with New Orleans, but I was curious.

Draft saved Draft deleted