1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Take care of yourself

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Johnny_Dangerously, Sep 11, 2003.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Good luck!

I slacked a lot over the summer, mainly because my last marathon, during which it was 80 degrees with no shade, took much more out of me than I expected.

Now, conditioning is more important than ever as I close in on 50, so I’m trying to get back into the swing with some shorter distances, like 10Ks and halfs. Just need to get my legs back under me first.

2. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

I was supposed to run a half last year, but my appendix burst and landed in the ER a week before the race. I'm aiming for 2:00, but being my first half, I'm unsure how realistic that is.

3. MisterCreosote

I ran my first half in 1:55. It remains my PR to this day.

What pace do you keep on your training runs?

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Just over 6.9 million steps/3,450 miles for 2023. Missed 2 days of 10k steps, one with Covid and the other where I drove for over 12 hours round trip picking up my older one from their camp counselor job.

micropolitan guy and maumann like this.
  5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

That's a lot of miles. I topped out at about 2,500 for about 10 years in a row in my running days. Maybe that's why I have two titanium hips, the first at 52.

6. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I can’t run because of foot/ankle problems from 30+ of hoops, but walking and the elliptical don’t bother me. If I commute into NYC, I generally walk to the bus/train and from there to my office, which is over 12k round trip. Weekends and when I work from home, I typically take one very long walk a day or 2 shorter ones if Mrs. W or my son want to walk with me. I also do the elliptical 3-5x a week. So yeah, a lot of steps and none worse for the wear.

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I've become a walker too. Four miles on MWF and three on Saturday with a group, then about 2 on T & Th with the dog, plus assorted other dog walks, depending on the weather. Try to swim 1500 yards on Tue and Thur. Got to say active!

Webster likes this.
  8. MisterCreosote

I topped 2,100 miles running, and 3,200 overall.

Not bad for someone who works completely from home.

Dog8Cats and TigerVols like this.
  9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Had some Amazon reward points and bought a jar of Shilajit resin after seeing so many ads on the socials.

This is supposed to be one of the best brands. It arrived and appears as described, thick resin with a pungent smell but not too bad.

Just finished my first cup in hot water mixed with some honey. Taste is fine. Let's see if starts doing anything the next few weeks.

upload_2024-1-18_13-47-38.jpeg

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

What does it suppose to do?

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Regulate your impulse to go for it on every 4th down.

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Bloody hell. I had let my biking slip in the last year or so for a number of reasons, weather, work, lack of time, etc. I've only ridden once in the last four months, so I don't know why I thought I would just jump back into it today like I was in shape for it. Rode 11 miles and my legs are absolute jello. My wind was fine, but I could barely finish because my thighs were screaming. Need to get back in the habit and get these wheels back into shape. Humbling.

Draft saved Draft deleted