1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tasering at Phillies Game--Fair or Extreme?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 21, May 4, 2010.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Which is just disturbing.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

FIXED!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Feel free to dial a number other than 911 when you are in trouble.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

DIAL 0

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

It's an inappropriate response to a trespasser.

It's a perfectly acceptable response to someone blantantly ignoring an order from a police officer to stop.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Look at the video.

The fact is, the kid was embarrassing the fatass cop who was too out of shape to catch him. So the cop took the easy way out. Another example of lazy policing.

Totally unacceptable response.

7. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

In case anybody was wondering, this is an incredibly big deal in Philadelphia. It led the local newscasts last night. I think sentiment is clearly turning toward the "overreaction" side, helped by the fact that the kid's parents and stepfather seem to be normal, decent people who aren't defending what he did, or professing outrage, etc.
    Unlike with the guy who threw up on the little girl, I think people here are getting a "this-guy-is-one-of-us" vibe, putting themselves in the parents' shoes, if not the kid's. Be interesting to see how the Phillies react.
    Of course, the fact that another doofus had to run out onto the field in the 9th Tuesday night is going to muddy the waters. Chris Wheeler, one of the Phils' announcers, was so pissed it sounded like he wanted them to shoot the second guy with real bullets.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

Piss on Wheels.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

You're correct. Only those who believe that anything a police office does is OK and always supports their illegal activities should expect to receive police protection.

10. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

yeah and if he tackles the stupid ass kid and the kid breaks his arm or leg people would be complaining about that and some scumbag lawyer would sue for a mil.
    like someone said on page 1, stay in your seat.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I have not read one single post on this thread. Was gone most of yesterday.
    So let me say this and back out: I sure as hell hope no one thinks this was the wrong move. Dumbshit runs on field, he gets what he gets. Short of killing him, I'm OK with just about anything.
    They tell you to stay off the field. So stay off the fucking field.

I have zero sympathy for the kid. I hope the spot where he got tased will hurt for a long, long time. My son and I talked about this yesterday. He agrees.

Do stupid shit? Pay the price.

He doesn't go on the field, we don't have an issue, do we?

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

We all agree that yes, the kid shouldn't have run onto the field. The issue is whether the cop used excessive force.

Tasers have been responsible for at least twenty deaths in Canada alone over the past few years. They were introduced as an alternative to lethal force where cops felt their or other people's lives were in imminent danger.

I don't think tasing a kid who's running around a baseball field waving a white towel qualifies The cop should be suspended or at least forced to enroll in a fitness program to shed those donut pounds.

The Mounties, who very seldom admit any wrongdoing, have come up with a much stricter policy on taser use as the result of a judicial inquiry into the death of a Polish tourist who was tased repeatedly by two of Canada's finest in the Vancouver airport.

As I've said twice before, lazy fucking policing.

Draft saved Draft deleted