1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tasering at Phillies Game--Fair or Extreme?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 21, May 4, 2010.

1. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

Maybe it's just me, but the problem I have with most of these tasing "victims" is that they are completely and totally unsympathetic characters. In my heart, I would probably agree that a taser probably shouldn't have been used in this situation, but I can't find any sympathy for the kid.

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I'm not glad the kid got hurt. But he did something galactically stupid and there are consequences.

I wish these knuckleheads knew how to enjoy something without feeling the need to make themselves part of it.

3. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

I must have missed where the kid's age was a major point of emphasis in this thread.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

And coincidentally, the the RCMP have today issued a new policy on tasers.

http://www.canada.com/RCMP+tighten+rules+Tasers/2984643/story.html

The new standard will be that the guns should only be fired in "situations where a subject is causing bodily harm, or the police officer believes, on reasonable grounds, that the subject will imminently cause bodily harm," the RCMP said in a news release.

That's a reasonable policy.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I wish they were so reasonable with the baby seals

6. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Mom says her son is very sorry.

http://www.myfoxphilly.com/dpp/sports/mlb/phillies/050410-mom-says-phillies-taser-teen-is-sorry

Also, the taser was fired by a bike patrol officer after field security failed to catch the kid. Seems incredible no one could catch this putz, considering he was running in circles waving a towel over his head.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The kid is a jerk, but you need to realize that if you choose to taser someone, it could kill them. Wouldn't be so funny to taser someone to death live on TV.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Watching that video, it's obvious this kid was on a joy run. There's a difference between circling the outfield and making a beeline for Tom Gamboa in the coaching box.

Just didn't seem like Taser material. Not saying a kid should be allowed to run all day and be a jackhole, but it was also sad that not one of the security dudes could run him down themselves.

9. I find this hilarious, given your avatar.

It's like a Public Service Announcement [from a Douchebag].

10. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Don't be surprised if some sports-talk radio hack brings it up. I've heard from a few at a coffeehouse this morning chiming with "they shouldn't have tazed him! He's only 17!"

I rolled my eyes in disdain.

11. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

You run on the field, you face whatever consequences come your way. You keep running after being told to stop, I 've got no problem with the taser being used. Especially in Philadelphia.

12. You are such a Buzzkill sometimes....

I am in the camp that says the kid is responsible for what he got. Maybe what the cop did was a bit much, but if the kid stays off the field it NEVER happens.

Don't be a Jackass.

Draft saved Draft deleted