1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tasering at Phillies Game--Fair or Extreme?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 21, May 4, 2010.

1. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Orville, the more I read about it I feel bad for the young moron. Now I'm leaning toward him just getting roughed up by security (but roughed up good).

That photo is going to win an assload of awards.

2. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Let the revolution begin!

http://zoowithroy.spreadshirt.com/so-tasered-limited-time-only-A5992011/customize/color/196

3. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Tasers are used a bit more frequently than I like, but in this instance, zap him. Sure, his intentions might be harmless. Then again, they might not. Just ask Tom Gamboa.

But if he willfully crosses that barrier and jumps on the field, then who's to say what he's prepared to do? Although, attacking a group of professional athletes with bats and spikes on their feet wouldnt' be high on my to-do list.

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. dog428

dog428 Active Member

My point was that I don't think any rational person, much less a cop, would have watched this situation unfold and thought that this guy waving a towel over his head and running in circles was anything more than an attention-seeking moron.

No, in the situation, we don't know what will happen. We have no idea what will happen at any given second in life, whether it be in a stadium filled with people, a mall, driving down the road or strolling through Times Square. But that's life.

And if we're judging this based on what could happen based on previous examples, "moron seeking attention" outnumbers "crazy with a weapon" by about a million to one. We can't live life and impose rules and punishments based on the .001 percent.

Not to mention, with all the problems with tasers over the last few years, most police departments now teach that using a taser should be thought of as using a gun. Because the potential for death, especially in situations where a chase and/or alcohol/drugs are involved, is there. So, the question I think that should apply here is this: Did this kid, by his actions, cross the line where deadly force would have been justified?

6. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Mike Curtis didn't think it was over the line.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Dog, I would hope the taser would come out of it prevents a police officer having to fight with a person.

I would much rather a few idiots not listening to the police get the shock of their life than a cop bitten while fighting with a guy with Hep or HIV.

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

Maybe they should've tased Tanner Boyle when they couldn't catch him at the Astrodome. How pissed off would Tanner have been after that?? :D

"WE'RE NOT FINISHED!!"

"LET THEM PLAY!!! LET THEM PLAY!!!" ;D

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

And is it just me, or does that kid look like the love child of Adam Sandler and Alfred E. Neumann?

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

So now cops should have no physical contact with suspects, straight to the taser. You've gone from terrorist to HIV , any other stretches you would like to make?

11. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

With a little John/Jason Ritter thrown in (referencing above picture).

Fair game. Quit defacing the sport I love. Plus you don't know what people will do once on the field.

12. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

With a little Rocky Balboa mixed in?

Draft saved Draft deleted