1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TBL talks to Karen Crouse

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pulitzer Wannabe, Mar 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

If you get a chance, read through the debate that the commentors are having about whether or not they should be allowed to make mean, shitty comments about Crouse's physical appearance. It cuts right to the heart of why I can't understand why journalists are willing to do interviews with this blog.

TBL: It's is acceptable to comment on the physical appearance of all women, just not in this post!

Readers: Booooooooooooo!

TBL: Ok, it is not acceptable to comment on the physical appearance of any women!

Readers: Booooooooooooo!

TBL: Ok, Objectification for some women, email interviews and respect paid toothers!

Readers: Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaah! (Wait a minute....) Booooooooooooo!

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Given their demos, the Times can afford to take that slant.

At least, in a multi-newspaper town, the consumer has a choice.

On Monday-night football, non-football fluff is forced down the viewers' throats, as the
    core viewership is taken for granted in quest of the marginal "casual" viewer.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Absolutely. Columnists enjoy this luxury.

4. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

In a one newspaper town, that's probably true. In New York, the diehards are already getting their red meat coverage - especially of the Jets, the city's blue-collar team - from the Daily News and the Post.

Do you think the Times would have experimented with the nature of their Jets beat coverage if they didn't already have a sense of that?

5. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

That would make sense if the same philosophy applied to the other beats. It doesn't.

6. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

But the Times figures Giants fans read the Times - and they do, because the Giants are New York's white collar football team. All the other franchises in town have pretty well-mixed fan bases. There are as many arbitrageurs and investment bankers at Yankees and Knicks and Rangers games as there pipefitters and UPS drivers.

The Times isn't ceding red meat sports coverage to the tabs - it's ceding red meat Jets coverage.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'll give TBL the benefit of the doubt on that. I mean, it's not like he tries to attract lunkheads just looking to leer at half-naked women.

8. Double Down

No, never.

9. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

No doubt these conclusions are based on extensive demographic research.

10. Double Down

I can never understand why the Times choice to cover the Jets a little differently so pisses people off on this board. Don't they cover everything a little differently? That's what makes them the Times. Tyler Keppner doesn't write stories like George King. It's an outrage!

11. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

I'm not saying the Time is right. I'm simply trying to identify the impulse behind the experiment.

12. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

In all seriousness, even if I concede that "fans want to know why the Jets are losing or whether they can keep winning," and to an extent I do, exactly how much real estate does it take to tell them that and how often? I think that ought to be taken care of in the game story in Monday's paper, unless you're telling me that the gamer ought to be play-by-play. Otherwise, it gets pretty monotonous reading rehash/preview all week. There is seldom much happening with an NFL team during the week that can't be reduced to notes, so I really don't see what's wrong with not reacting to the talk-radio idiots and giving us some insights into what makes these people tick.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.