1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tebow to appear in Focus on the Family commercial during SB XLIV

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Herbert Anchovy, Jan 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

You're as wrong as Zeke was when he called you a concern troll when you were worried about the Dems during the '08 election.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Great. Here we go.

At the VERY least, global warming is a topic worthy of debate, with the anti-global warming crowd able to try and disprove the plentiful evidence that it does exist (and it does). There is at least something to discuss. Do you (not you, just the general you) really have evidence God exists? Ohh, some book. Flip on the news and watch Haiti. That should settle that debate, but it never does.

Tim Tebow and the rest of the God squadders--again, regardless of denomination--can shut the ever holy fuck up.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Then you're either A) trying too hard and overthinking the issue or B) refusing to accept Occam's Razor due to your own specific prejudices.

Mocking Tebow has never been about actually mocking Tebow and has always been about mocking the media's fawning adulation of a college kid.

4. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I don't dislike him because of his Christianity. First and foremost, I dislike him because he played for Florida, and I hate Florida. </georgiafanboi>

However, I also dislike the implication that he's a better person than I am because he's a Christian. And while a lot of that isn't his fault, he also doesn't appear to shy away from it. It's his thing. It's what he's marketed as. (Even though he's pretty keen to engage in taunting the opposition (helps that he's never flagged for it). Firing up your own team is one thing; Gator-chomping toward the opposing fans every time you score on a 2-yard sneak? That's rather a different thing.)

And Waylon's right. 'Christian' values are, by and large, decent human values. That's why I resent the suggestion that the Ten Commandments are the most important thing ever, as if sentient, rational beings wouldn't have concluded at some point that societies function better if their members don't kill each other, steal from each other and fuck each other's wives.

5. YankeeFan

I don't think I'd be able to convince you of the existence of God -- and I'm probably the wrong person to try. But your intolerance is startling.

Oh, and chew on this for the evidence of global warming:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/environment/article6991177.ece

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

One of the best posts of this or any other year.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Northern-Florida AM radio: evangies, and country-western.

Shoot me, now.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Golden Rule works. Always has.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

You are welcome to try. You'll understand my so-called intolerance in a hurry.

10. YankeeFan

Well, it was a lot better than yours.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

I'm sorry the truth upsets you.

12. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

I couldn't agree more. Being a "Christian" is no guarantee of being a good and moral person. Some of the worst people I know call themselves Christians. They act like Satan the first six days of the week and then think they can make up for it on Sunday.

It's not entirely Tebow's fault that he's had this cult of personality built up around him. But he certainly does nothing to discourage it.

It is fun, however, to listen to Christians bitch and whine about how persecuted they are.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.