1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tebow to appear in Focus on the Family commercial during SB XLIV

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Herbert Anchovy, Jan 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

Equally great.

West Wing is my third favorite TV show of all-time, behind The Wire and The Shield.

2. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

I don't mean to turn this into an existential debate, but here's a question: if there is no "higher power" at work in the universe - be it Karma or the Christian God or the Muslim God -- what is the reason for the pain you feel inside when you do flip on the news and watch Haiti?

Because an overwhelming sense of compassion for a tiny foreign Island and a tribe of people who have no bearing on your own survival would seem rather silly and pointless if you truly believed that your sole purpose on Earth was to survive and propagate your bloodline. In fact, any energy expended in favor of the Haitians, other than a passing "Hey, more natural resources for the rest of us," would seem to be a disservice to both yourself and the rest of us living in your society, according to your belief structure.

Just curious if it's a question you've wrestled with or considered.

As for Tebow -- I applaud activism of any kind, as long as it is genuine and well thought-out. I'm sure Tebow's falls into the former category. But I think it is a mistake on his part lending his likeness to Focus on the Family, not because of how it impacts his future job prospects -- Can't believe he's actually being criticized for that -- but because even if he doesn't subscribe to some of Dobson's more mean-spirited theology, he still puts himself in the company of those kooks.

3. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

No. You've gone from mocking Tebow to mocking every person that goes to church on Sunday...which I don't. But, my parents do, and most of my family. They don't preach, don't judge, they go to mass each week for themselves....they believe in something, have faith that something is bigger than us all.....I don't disagree with them.

I don't know who James Dobson is, I KNOW my Catholic parents don't. You don't like religion fine.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I haven't read every post on this thread, but can someone tell me....is the group Tebow is doing the commercial for the same group who protests at military funerals and such?

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

No.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  6. JackReacher

Cool. Thanks.

7. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Yes, I'm sure they advocate BEATING your children..... ::)

And are you saying that anyone who doesn't agree with your point of view on homosexuality is intolerant?

Isn't that intolerance defined?

8. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

No, that's those wonderful humanitarians at the Westboro Baptist Church.

9. JackReacher

Yeah. That does sounds familiar. Awesome people, they are.

10. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

When are we gonna talk about the John Birch Society?

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Sorry, but that is a load of crap. Human beings do not need religious faith to feel compassion for others. I like to think I am a decent person most of the time and that I care for the people around me. That's me, my choice, and I succeed or fail as a human being on my own. It is in no way proof one way or the other that G-d exists.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Don't sweat it, OOP. You are not a decent person. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.