1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tebow to appear in Focus on the Family commercial during SB XLIV

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Herbert Anchovy, Jan 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I am shocked, by the way, that this was your angle.

2. For the same reason that Tyler Hansbrough was disliked here. Because the hype doesn't match the talent. I told you that, but it's not the answer you want to hear, which is that we're terrorist-loving, Mooslim-adoring Kenyan vegans who are plotting against Sarah Palin, Glenn Beck, apple pie and Tim Tebow.

And also because we're cynical bastards.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

So his Christianity never comes up in the criticism of him? Here on SportsJournalists.com?

4. Well, seeing that 99 percent of the board is Mooslim, I guess you have a point.

You're one of the reasons the Politics Board was shut down. Are you trying to shut this one down, too?

Take a break from the board and go polish your Sarah Palin shrine.

5. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

Really, YF, the persecution complex is part of what turns people off to Christianity. A religion that allegedly represents 90-plus percent of the population, but yet is sooo repressed.

If Tim Tebow wants to wear his faith on his sleeve, that's his right. But frankly, if I want to be preached to, I'll go to church.

6. YankeeFan

Yes, the verse is Mathew 6:6: "But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly."

But you have to read the preceding verse to understand the context:

"And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward."

It's about not being a hypocrite. Are you saying that Tebow is a hypocrite? I'd be interested in hearing the argument if there is one.

7. YankeeFan

Really? This is news to me. What's your evidence?

8. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Hondo=Carrie Prejean

9. Where's the passage about baiting people on message boards?

10. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

My probably isn't that Tebow is a christian, my problem is that he is appearing in an ad for a very homophobic organization.

11. What Waylon's been saying: People here don't HATE Tebow. They're cynical and tend to snort and hoot against the really great players, because that's what journalists are by nature - but YF, since you're not a journalist, posting nonetheless on a site for sportsjournalists, you don't understand that. We (not me, but my profession by and large) also did it with Tiger Woods (even pre-sex scandal), Michael Jordan, etc.

But the fact that Tebow is a big-time Christian sets up your antenae, and you see another chance to show that people on this site and sportswriters and the media in general and liberals in general are all Christian-haters. Well, no.

People here get snorty against Tebow for the same reason fans do at other SEC schools, or Ohio State or Texas or whatever. He's good. He's hyped endlessly. That's his main "sin." When push comes to shove, they deep down know he's probably a great guy and sincere in his beliefs, and as long as he doesn't force them on everyone, no one will care. I won't care. I can deal with the God references and bible verses on the eye black.

This commercial, on the other hand, might signal him taking it to a different level.

12. YankeeFan

How is this baiting? I responded to his post, put it in it's context, and asked him a question.

What's wrong with that?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.