1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tebow to appear in Focus on the Family commercial during SB XLIV

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Herbert Anchovy, Jan 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. If he were a Mooslim terrorist, I would agree.

2. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

I'm sure the story will be vetted to the gills now that the Tebows are putting it out there. For their sake, I hope it's true.

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Anybody could have been aborted, at any time. My mother chose life, so I'm here. Well, she must have. It's a dumb argument.

4. Derek_W

Derek_W Guest

Nice to see you people demonstrate such tolerance.

5. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

You aren't the only one who thinks that.

6. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

When the Christians in question are like Erik Prince, Pat Robertson or Fred Phelps, and they do things that are clearly un-Christian, I think I have a right to tell them how they're supposed to act.
    Either that or I have a poor understanding of Christianity.

7. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

Those three especially would, I think, fall into the category of "Christians" Gandhi was referring to when he said, "I like your Christ. I do not like some of your Christians. They seem so unlike your Christ."

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

This is interesting too.

Jordan & Tiger were criticized for not involving themselves in civil rights and/or political causes. Most of the critics surmised that they did so to preserve their endorsement opportunities.

You might think that Tebow would be congratulated by these same critics for taking a stand regardless of what it might mean to his endorsement opportunities.

9. If you dropped the passive-aggressive bullshit in which you basically are telling your fellow posters how godless they are, you might get somewhere.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Not holding my breath waiting for Pat Robertson to take the first small step towards not being a
    vindictive prick.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I'm in no way super-religious myself, and I'm not accusing anyone of being Godless.

I'm not sure why you're so sensitive about this issue.

I've seen you defend Notre Dame against irrational criticism, and you seemed to be doing the same here with Tebow before I weighed in.

You might not hate Tebow, and most of America might not, but some here surely do. And some of that appears to be based on his Christianity.

12. I have no problem with Tebow being politically active, and if he gets slammed for that by the same people who have slammed Tiger Woods and Michael Jordan, then you make a good point.

If they slam him for associating with a hate-mongering group like "Focus on the Family," however, then they have a good point.

And I don't think I necessarily "defended" Notre Dame as much as I said joining the Big East in no way answers any problems they might have.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.