1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Terrell Owens does it again

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Yawn, Aug 27, 2006.

1. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Didka. ;D

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Outing alert -- COCKDIAN is T.O.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

This isn't quite true. He is an unbelievable talent, and he stays in incredible shape, but he has not always been the most consistent receiver. Because of all the self-promotion, and the problems he's had, people have short memories about how inconsistent he has been at times.

The re-written "wisdom" about him is that he is a great receiver and plays hard, but he's trouble. That isn't all true. He is a great receiver, but he hasn't always played all out. Particularly when he was with the 49ers... There were quite a few dropped passes, balls that were short-armed because he was anticipating the hit, and him taking plays off when he was frustrated that he hadn't touched the ball enough for his tastes. It was something that a lot of people noticed, because he was supposed to be the heir apparent to Jerry Rice, and compared to the machine that Rice was, he didn't come close to measuring up.

4. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Even though that Giants choke job hurt me badly in a playoff fantasy league, I still laugh when I remember the N.Y. cornerbacks, after getting toasted more than bread for a Continental breakfast at a busy hotel, started fighting with T.O. after every play. They were like these tiny gnats trying to pull down an elephant.

The play with the botched snap, botched pass and botched officiating was simply icing on the cake.

5. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

It's interesting to point that out. If we look at the # of games he has played over the last five years, he has suffered an injury in nearly each of those five years (not including last season). Is he a freak of nature? Yes. Is he "really" the best player on the field? Personally, I don't know. He hasn't stayed healthy enough to make me say yes.

Tuna is probably in the coaches' meeting telling his staff "I told that dumbass (Jones) that I wasn't in favor of bringing this tool in. Let him deal with it. If he doesn't practice, the fucker won't suit up and play. It's simple as that."

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

He's actually only played in four. And he had nine catches for 177 yards and two TDs in one (against the Giants) and nine catches for 122 yards in another (the Super Bowl).

And why would you discount his playoff appearances before 1999?

The guy's a douche and I'm not trying to defend his attitude or actions, but you're being awfully selective.

I wouldn't build my team around the guy. I wouldn't want him on it at all if I had to put up with all his shenanigans. But if I needed a wide receiver to help me win a playoff game, I'd have to take him.

7. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

T.O. can be a "gun for hire," so to speak. What other players (from any sport) could be considered as a "hired gun/mercenary/one stop gap" for a quick fix for a team?

Draft saved Draft deleted