1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 2022 running NASCAR, IMSA & other racing things thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Dec 20, 2021.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

At this point, baseball would be lucky to get that.

No overtime? Were the fans not promised the full Nascar experience?

Driftwood likes this.
  2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Mission accomplished for NASCAR. Good or not (and most of it seemed pretty good), this race got a lot of buzz and that was the point.

Liut likes this.
  3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I'm a big fan of the coliseum. The visual was great. The race didn't do much for me.

Machine Head and Liut like this.
  4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Well, being as there is a T.G. Shephard in silver on the hood below his butt, he was either a sponsor or owner.

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

He was a sponsor, but I just was wondering why a singer would sponsor a car continuously? Because it ran like that for a couple of seasons IIRC, so it wasn’t timed around a specific album or tour.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

It was something between him and Rick Hendrick. He probably had it paid for out of Columbia Records’ marketing slush fund.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

If they were trying to attract curious viewers, it worked.

maumann likes this.
  8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Most of that increase came from moving to Fox from FS1. I watched a little bit. It wasn't terrible racing for an obvious gimmick. The part I liked best was citing the history of past auto races in famous stadiums.

playthrough and maumann like this.
  9. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Sports Media Watch hasn't posted Pro Bowl ratings, which would give me more context since they were slotted against each other.

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

NFL killed 'em.

maumann likes this.
  11. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

12. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Crypto sponsors are the new J.D. Stacy/1-800-dailup/10-10-long distance/random energy drink scams. As long as there has been racing, there have been schemes to get something for nothing. (See Bobby Ginn or Angela's Motorsports.)

I never have understood why race teams -- or drivers -- don't ask to see the money upfront. (Probably because there isn't any.)

2muchcoffeeman, wicked and Driftwood like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted