1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 2022 running NASCAR, IMSA & other racing things thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Dec 20, 2021.

1. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Yep, we did get there when the gates opened, but there were plenty of empty seats around us when they dropped the green. Sunday is "sold out," but the lack of scalpers trying to wheel and deal 500 tickets is a big tell.

2. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

So maybe you guys can tell me why NASCAR thinks having the biggest event in the sport as the season opener is a good idea

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Google “NASCAR starts its season with its Super Bowl” and I’m sure you’ll find dozens of articles dating back to the dawn of the Internet.

melock and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

It wasn't always this way -- they used to start at Riverside and then back to Florida -- but most fans who remember that left the sport when (insert your favorite Nascar misstep from the last 25 years here).

maumann and Driftwood like this.
  5. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

As much as anything, I’d tie it to Daytona being the home of NASCAR, a chance to spend a week or more in Florida in February… that sort of thing. The weather is far nicer and more predictable than later months.
    More than once after Daytona, races would move to Rockingham, Richmond, or Atlanta and be snowed out.

6. Driftwood

Before Winston got involved, drivers and teams would cherry pick only the biggest races. David Pearson only ran 3 full seasons in his career and won 3 championships.
    So in the early 60s, it needed a big race to draw teams. If you are wanting teams from Northwest Ga, Western NC, East Tenn, and SW Va, you offer them a chance to come to “Sunny Fla” with a big payday in the middle of winter.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

That Riverside race was always run with the previous season’s equipment, so everybody could debut their new cars at Daytona Beach.

8. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Driftwood likes this.
  9. 2muchcoffeeman

I randomly ran into Greg Biffle at Walmart today. I had forgotten how short he is.

Driftwood and maumann like this.
  10. 2muchcoffeeman

Breaking news from the track:

Congratulations, Tim.

garrow and maumann like this.
  11. Driftwood

What’s the problem?
    upload_2022-2-18_20-38-13.jpeg

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Knew it was a problem more than a decade ago during my eight-month stint in Volusia County. They were running ads for ticket sales right up to the 500. I’m guessing that those tickets were usually snapped up before the season finale before the Great Recession.

Then the Frances, instead of reducing ticket prices, then tried to wipe out backstretch bleachers to create ticket scarcity.

I swear, if you want to run your organization correctly, see what NASCAR does and do the opposite. I mean, see what happens when the FIA tried to go NASCAR? How did that with out (unless you’re Red Bull/Max Verstappen)?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2022
    maumann likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted