1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 2022 running NASCAR, IMSA & other racing things thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Dec 20, 2021.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

There was talk some teams might not have two cars ready for Daytona — two cars total. I read somewhere that parts were being distributed based on owners’ points from last year. I think in Buschwide you had to use the same car for two of the first three races.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

When they had to go from Texas to Vegas, they’d send a spare transporter rig from Mooresville to Texas with the Vegas equipment and switch out the Texas stuff from the main transporter rig in the parking lot.

Batman, Driftwood and maumann like this.
  3. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Right. Furniture Row does that frequently when there are a series of East Coast races, resupplying in some truck stop. Plus, they can also use the spare rig for tests, to ferry parts from Charlotte for NASCAR inspection, and even move mattresses and furniture to stores in North Carolina. Their director of logistics earns his salary.

Driftwood likes this.
  4. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

At first I didn't have much of an opinion on the smaller, forward numbers. I am now firmly in the "Nope, don't like it" camp.

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Oddly I find it easier to lock in on the numbers with them being right at the wheel well. Not sure why.

Also, the tire stuff is a joke.

6. maumann

Larson beat. And apparently things might be a little frosty around the Hendrick complex this week.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

maumann likes this.
  8. 2muchcoffeeman

Kudos to Roger for doing the right thing.

9. maumann

Just off the top of my head, I don't believe IMS has any "pristine" 500 winners in its collection at the Museum. For example, I know of at least three No. 25 Cummins Penske display cars that claim to be driven by Al Unser in 1987 -- one in Indianapolis, one at Penske and one at the Unser Museum in Albuquerque. What percentage of parts and pieces of those cars crossed the yard of bricks that day? I have no idea.

Then again, the car that won was sitting in a Pennsylvania hotel as a show car when the month of May started that year.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I started to be snarky about a “tradition” started in 1997. Then I worked the math and … sonuvabitch.

maumann, 2muchcoffeeman and Driftwood like this.
  11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

At first I was like “they’ll probably really need it”… but Kyle Busch’s comment about buying cars at Walmart comes to mind.

maumann likes this.
  12. 2muchcoffeeman

Congratulations! You are old.

Draft saved Draft deleted