1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 2022 running NASCAR, IMSA & other racing things thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Dec 20, 2021.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

3. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Batman and Driftwood like this.
  4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Surprised there aren't more famous Chicago chase scenes - SF? Sure. NY? yes. LA? of course. Too flat? But we did miss one. Steve McQueen's final film (you may recognize the parking structure from the openings of the Tom Hanks film Nothing in Common or the Bob Newhart Show.

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Still wondering how they're gonna get people ok with blocking off busy roads for a week or two.

6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I can’t remember the last time I watched a race start to finish and I did today. I thought the product was good. Other than the manufactured cautions, there weren’t many stoppages early so the race got momentum. I haven’t heard a crowd that loud since Junior won at Talladega years ago. The stands were far from filled, though. Perhaps they should flip this and the Daytona summer race, basically just swapping plate race for plate race and putting the 400 where it should be.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jul 12, 2022
  8. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

I agree about the younger crowd not being aware of Earnhardt enough to buy merchandise of him. The other issue with the older crowd is my hunch is many of them are like me: they suspect Teresa will be getting a cut, which is a deal breaker. I still have some old Earnhardt shirts, a couple of which I wear twice a year. I bought a couple of the retro Earnhardt Wrangler shirts that came out when Jr. drove the Wrangler Busch (er, Xfinity) car once, but nothing since then.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

This starts as a look at life inside DEI, but at the end takes a serious turn toward what it might’ve been like to be Teresa Earnhardt after Senior died.

10. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I watched that last night. It’s pretty good.

I will add that Eury said he didn't blame Teresa. I absolutely blame Teresa for the demise of DEI. All she had to do is put the right people in place, sit back, and let things unfold. She didn't do that.
    She didn't have to run the team. She did run it into the ground.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2022
  11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Run it into the ground implies malfeasance. I think she just stopped giving a shit and then she got stubborn after Junior made his ownership demands.
    Even 2007 era Junior wouldn't have been ready to run the joint. Would he have hired the right people? I'm not so sure.

12. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

They had the right people in place. Just let them do their jobs, show up a time or two to glad hand some sponsors, and it works out. She wanted to cut out anyone except herself and Taylor Nicole.
    All she had to do was let the racing people handle the racing.

Draft saved Draft deleted