1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 2022 running NASCAR, IMSA & other racing things thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Dec 20, 2021.

1. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I someday hope to own an EV truck.
    I can't say I'd be enthused watching EV racing.
    I'm honestly still upset that NASCAR and NHRA Pro Stock switched to EFI instead of carbs.
    To quote Charlie Daniels, "It's a down right joy for a country boy when he hears them engines moan."
    Heck, I can't half hear now because I've spent a life around race cars, boats, Harleys, farm equipment, and chainsaws.

SixToe and maumann like this.
  2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Thats the other key I should have mentioned. Run it as a true innovation lab and not another spec series. I’d be interested to see what some of the brighter minds in the garages could do if truly let loose again. The EV world doesn’t need an Elon Musk. It needs a Smokey Yurick.

3. Driftwood

He'd rig up a hundred D cells in the roll cage to give it an extra boost.

2muchcoffeeman, dixiehack and maumann like this.
  4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

*Yunick.

5. dixiehack

6. Typist Clerk

Typist Clerk Well-Known Member

And with electric cars his nickname would be Sparky.

Maybe 15 years ago, Rusty Wallace said he expected NASCAR would be all-electric within 50 years. It's coming. Don't know what you do about the quietness without fake noise, and that would make the whole thing seem fake. It wasn't a stated reason, but USAC legislated the turbine car out of existence and it wasn't nicknamed the Whooshmobile for nothing. When it goes by on a show run at IMS, you hear the tires and that's it.

maumann likes this.
  7. dixiehack

I don’t think the home of the competition yellow would consider adding in an engine note to be a bridge too far.

Driftwood, playthrough and wicked like this.
  8. 2muchcoffeeman

The Audi LMS TDI prototypes don’t understand the problem here.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

That wasn’t why I came over here.

Kurt Busch is out of the 45 today after developing concussion symptoms following Saturday’s qualifying wreck. Ty Gibbs will make his Cup Series debut.

10. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

I see that this thread has 500 replies. In honor of NASCAR's insistence that races finish under green, here's reply 501. (Technically, post 502, since @2muchcoffeeman beat me to it.)

I also hate the Chase, splitting races into stages, competition cautions, phantom debris yellows, closing North Wilkesboro and everything that keeps racing from actually being racing.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2022
  11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

There's some sort of "Who's on First" joke to be made with Ty Dillon/Austin Dillon/Ty Gibbs/Joe Gibbs.

maumann likes this.
  12. Driftwood

upload_2022-7-24_17-48-44.png

Draft saved Draft deleted