1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 2022 running NASCAR, IMSA & other racing things thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Dec 20, 2021.

1. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Golf clap. That's better than John Wrecks Weekly. (RIP)

Last edited: Jul 30, 2022
    Driftwood and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

At least wait until you’ve taken the white. When the MRN guys use the word “punt” to describe the move…

maumann likes this.
  3. Typist Clerk

Typist Clerk Well-Known Member

I'm at IMS for the IndyCar-NASCAR weekend, and can comfirm that NASCAR flew most of the key Charlotte-based writers and broadcasters to Chicago for the Grant Park track unveiling. As far as I know, not a one of them mentioned it in their stories or broadcasts. Just like freeloading travel and golf writers.

4. Typist Clerk

Sometimes the food is a more bitter memory.

2muchcoffeeman and maumann like this.
  5. maumann

I hope they figured out how to keep the rumble strips on the infield section from getting peeled up by the Cup splitters. Perhaps the new cars won't dig into the corners as severely, but that was an embarrassing situation last summer.

The guy across the street buried metal spikes in the ground to keep local kids from running over his mailbox. I think IMS should consider a similar deterrent.

6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Perhaps they should stay on the oval and not even have to dodge rumble strips in the infield.

Driftwood likes this.
  7. maumann

Now you're just saying stupid things to get a rise out of me. (/sarcasm)

Driftwood likes this.
  8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I wish IMS officials had the stones several years ago to tell Nascar to get lost when the race was at its lowest points (and Nascar was doing nothing to help), but the TV money was too good. And now that Penske owns it, the weekend obviously isn't going anywhere.

maumann likes this.
  9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Something like this?

2muchcoffeeman and maumann like this.
  10. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I seem to remember some discussion during the IndyCar broadcast about that maybe they had been taken out?

11. Typist Clerk

It’s all concrete now, redesigned a bit. No issues Saturday with IndyCar or Xfinity.

maumann likes this.
  12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Ouch.
    Bad hit for Ty Dillon, but if he wasn't there to slow down the 5 this could have been really bad for Kyle Larson.

Draft saved Draft deleted