1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 2022 running NASCAR, IMSA & other racing things thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Dec 20, 2021.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

What was he going to do, put him into the wall? :)

swingline and maumann like this.
  2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Dale Earnhardt Jr. will have Brian France on his podcast in the next few weeks.

3. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

maumann likes this.
  4. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Tom Brady says welcome to the club.

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

As long as they run Nos. 42 and 43, for starters, and keep Petty Blue on the vehicles.

Of all the things that should stay a tradition, the above should not be difficult hurdles to clear and should not be sold to sponsors (see the Richard Petty story about STP offering what was big money decades ago if the Pettys were willing to make Richard's ride all red).

maumann likes this.
  6. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Would Hendrick/Gordon be willing to part with the No. 48? Johnson's the one who made it iconic. (Before that, most older racing fans would associate it with Dan Gurney, to be honest. It never really had a significant NASCAR presence.)

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

maumann likes this.
  8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Jimmie driving again, meh. I get it's just a few races, probably key for sponsor $$ and all, but I liked that he walked away satisfied, then did something completely different in IndyCar. Don't need to see him logging laps to finish 15th somewhere.

9. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Yeah, if you want to transition into ownership, follow the lead of Jeff Gordon and Tony Stewart. I have a feeling it's probably part of the Carvana/American Legion deal and the fact that Petty is basically NASCAR's version of A.J. Foyt Racing. Noah Gragson and Erik Jones are probably asked to show their hard cards at most tracks because I wouldn't recognize either one in a driver lineup.

Once Adam died, Petty Enterprises has been dead team walking. It's basically the barely-warm embers of Evernham, Yates and Petty, with venture capital money twice over. I have no idea why Maurice Gallagher thought Medallion deserved $19 million for their bad decision a decade earlier, but sometimes rich people like stupid toys.

And Richard's not going to grin and sign autographs forever. So might as well find another seven-time champion figurehead.

Driftwood likes this.
  10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

The King — 85
    Bobby Allison — 84
    Cale — 83
    Ned Jarrett — 90
    Dale Inman — 86
    Leonard Wood — 88
    Buddy Parrott — Wiki says either 82 or 83
    Jack Roush — 80 and he’s cheated death twice

Hell, even Rick Hendrick is 73. And the guy running the sport is 78.

And that doesn’t include occasional NASCAR guys A.J. (87) and Mario (82).

maumann likes this.
  11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Don't forget Richard Childress at 77.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Given the numbers of Petty and Johnson, they could do something pretty cool with the design, Make the right "shadow" of the eight a red "3" or whatever.

Draft saved Draft deleted