1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 2022 running NASCAR, IMSA & other racing things thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Dec 20, 2021.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I was like, "broadcasters? is the race even going to be on TV with NBCSN gone? more like narrowcasters."

I figured all of it was on Peacock. There actually is a decent amount on normal TV channels.

TigerVols, garrow and maumann like this.
  2. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Yeah, USA is apparently becoming the de facto SPEED/NBCSN go-to when the network needs a backup plan. I know I have it on Hulu somewhere, I'll just have to tag it.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Went down the rabbit hole on that one ... sounds rather amazing that there were 25 years between his death and the previous on-track death in Top Fuel.

And speaking of gladiators -- yeah, I'd say the nitro straightliners would qualify.

maumann likes this.
  4. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Blaine's death was just a freak thing. If he'd hit the wall 10 feet sooner or 10 feet later, he'd probably have walked away.

maumann likes this.
  5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Well, that didn’t take long. iRacing had paint on the track before NASCAR did.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

iRacing has updated the damage models again, they look better than ever … and they’re really getting a workout right now because I think everyone who even dabbles in iRacing’s oval-track competition is racing the L.A. Memorial Coliseum tonight.

This is gonna be fun in a modified, Legends car, late model, street stock, and maybe even a super late model. Sprint car or Silver Crown might be overpowered. Unfortunately, iRacing doesn’t offer asphalt midgets.

For Cup cars, it works better in second gear. Try third and you have to really modulate the throttle to keep from spinning. Take yellow-flag laps in first gear. Forget fourth gear — use it as a cupholder or something. Figuring out the brake bias is a challenge (still working on that). Expect cautions and mangled body work in the Busch Clash.

maumann likes this.
  7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Do you need a fancy rig to do the iRacing like the Cup guys do? How expensive is the service itself? I’ll have to do some research too. It’s always intrigued me, but I’ve never taken the plunge.

8. Driftwood

I can't remember when exactly, but I'm thinking '95-96, I had a steering wheel with paddles for shifting and gas/brake pedals for a Formula 1 game that required you to set tire bias, fuel economy, rear wing, etc. It would be primitive by today's standards, so I can't imagine.

9. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

A Papyrus game?

I remember they were big back then.

10. Driftwood

I don't remember. I remember the best car was the Williams with Rothmans livery.

Machine Head likes this.
  11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Seeing that I-racing demo made me want to see a video game where you race quad ATVs through the Augusta 18. With a jump over Rae's Creek.

12. 2muchcoffeeman

Nah, you can do with it with a basic Logitech steering wheel/pedals rig. Must have a good graphics card, and those have gotten harder to find because cryptobros use video cards to mine Bitcoin. I borrowed my friend’s son’s rig tonight — the kid’s at Navy basic so his rig’s at Dad’s house, and I suspect it’ll be there for a while. His dad has a VR headset on his own rig.

Pulling from the iRacing page about costs: “All subscriptions include 16 cars and 22 tracks, our full premium service, and all the racing you want 24/7. If you wish to buy additional cars, they cost a one-time fee of $11.95. If you want to buy additional tracks, they cost a one-time fee of either $11.95 or $14.95 depending on the track. We also offer several discounted cars and tracks priced at $2.95 and $4.95 each.”

You can also host races for your friends or whomever shows up. You pay 50¢ an hour to host. None of your guests have to pay.

Tracks: iRacing Tracks Archive - iRacing.com
    Cars: iRacing Cars Archive - iRacing.com
    Series: iRacing Series Archive - iRacing.com
    Explanation of seasons and builds: Seasons & Builds - iRacing.com

There are lots of iRacing streams on Twitch.

wicked likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted