1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 2023 Running Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Mar 30, 2023.

1. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

I am as disinterested in the Tigers after last season than I have been in a long time
    Might go Sunday but might not because I am not a fan of the Trop

Last edited: Mar 30, 2023
    maumann likes this.
  2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Obviously a ton of optimism here in Toronto. I am off today so looking forward to this afternoon's opener in St. Louis and as noted upthread, dismayed tomorrow is an off day!

3. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

I stopped living and dying with every Cubs pitch after 2016. My overall interest in MLB has similarly waned.

Then again, so has my overall interest (fanaticism level?) in every sport since I stopped working in sports in 2016.

swingline likes this.
  4. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I haven't been this excited for a new baseball season since I was a kid. All the new rules are gonna have a dramatic impact and I'm here for it. LFG!

8 changes fans need to know for the '23 season

The one thing I hate about the beginning of the season is the built-in off day following Opening Day in cold weather climates. I know why they do it -- because of the threat of cancellation -- but it's such a comedown after the excitement of opening day. Like having your bye week in the NFL in week two.

UNCGrad likes this.
  5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Been to two Cincinnati Reds Opening Days -- 1996 when John McSherry dropped dead, and 2019 one year before the world shut down. The fact that the Reds aren't the actual first game of the season still bothers me, and get off my lawn.

Liut and Fred siegle like this.
  6. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Why did that get rid of that tradition?

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

IIRC, ESPN had a night opener one year and with that the horse was out of the barn. The Reds will never open at night because of the Findlay Market Parade.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Local TV weatherman noted that the temperature at today's Sox opener at Fenway for the first pitch is expected to be 10 degrees colder than it was for the Winter Classic at Fenway in January.

CD Boogie likes this.
  9. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

It's raining in SoCal.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Rockies-Padres already pushed back from 1:10 p.m. PDT to 6:40 p.m. PDT.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

50 years ago marked the start of Garvey, Lopes, Russell, Cey.

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And of course Judge homers in his first AB. Thanks, Farhan!

No idea what to make of the Giants this year. Starting pitching looks solid and defense improved, but wonder how much punch they have in the lineup.

Draft saved Draft deleted