1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 2023 Running Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Mar 30, 2023.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

We win our third straight elimination game and will play for our seventh title in a row on Monday night. I have eight championship rings since 2011; need two more for the (other) thumb, might as well get one Monday!

Last edited: Aug 13, 2023
  2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

O's got one they really needed in Seattle. They went through their bullpen while George Kirby shut them out through regulation. They get an RBI single from Mountcastle in the 10th after Mullins steals third, then Bautista finishes off a two-inning outing with three straight Ks in the bottom of the inning.

Bautista is now 4-0 in two-inning appearances this year.

tapintoamerica likes this.
  3. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Trade deadline, Giants were
    • 2.5 back of the Dodgers.
    • Solidly in the Wildcard
    • 2.5 up on Miami and D’Backs
    • 4.5 up on Cubs on getting ousted from playoffs
    Now they are
    • 8.5 back of LA
    • 2.5 back of Philly
    • 1 up on Cubs
    • 1.5 from losing a wildcard spot
    Thanks for getting AJ Pollack, Farhan.

HanSenSE likes this.
  4. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Folks, the Mets have Mets'd a lot over the years.

They have never Mets'd like they did today.

2muchcoffeeman and TigerVols like this.
  5. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Indeed, a spectacular Mets-ing.

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Joey Gallo had four hits tonight, equaling his output from the previous 19. He earns $13 million a year.

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

He keeps shopping at the bargain basement for players that looked great on the spreadsheet before they got hurt, only to (surprise, surprie) see them get hurt again. This experiment with openers and "featured pitchers" in the middle innings is starting to implode, with a brutal stretch of schedule (Rays, at Atl, at Phils, Atl at home) coming up.

Sometimes, ya just gotta go old school. Forget Othani, he's not going to want to join another team with Punch-and-Judy hitters, get a couple of consistent arms in the rotation. Forget big name bats. get some solid bats. And take the spreadsheet and throw it in the Cove.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2023
    Spartan Squad likes this.
  8. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Can one be a fella if they’re still a teenager? BTW, how’d he look? Wondering if Baltimore would let him break camp with them next year or if he’d get a month or so in AAA and maybe I’d catch him in Lehigh Valley if Norfolk plays there.

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

He was the DH last night so I didn't get a chance to see him in the field, unfortunately. Looked good in his plate appearances. I think he's going to be a lot like Rutschman ... they're not going to call him up until he's ready to stick and play full time. He's still only 19 so I don't think they want to rush him.

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Well ... he's already tearing up AA. There's not too many more steps on the ladder.

I see him starting next year in Norfolk with an early call-up probable.

11. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Might start the year in Birdland.
    I see some people getting all excited about a repeat of Manny Machado in 2012. Highly unlikely. That team had a need at third base. They moved Machado from SS to 3rd in Double-A to expedite it. Wilson Betemit led the club in games played at third.
    The current Orioles are an ensemble cast of productive utility infielders. No urgent need to depose anybody.
    Having said that, I'd like it if Gunnar Henderson could resume his previous production.

jr/shotglass likes this.
  12. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

How much might you have had if you had bet back in March that the Washington National League Baseball Club LLC would have a better final record than the Mets?

Draft saved Draft deleted