1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 2023 Running Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Mar 30, 2023.

1. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

The trade back to Houston is another swift kick to the nuts for the Tigers as a franchise, b/c I think there's a real chance now he goes in wearing an Astros hat. Had he finished up with the Mets or bounced around in search of 300, I think the Tigers would have been much more than a compromise choice as the team for whom he built his HOF runway. But it feels like he's gonna finish up in Houston now, where he's already a top-24 a/t player for the Astros with a chance at moving into the top 12 with three or four above average seasons, which would almost surely either get him to 300 or close enough that he'll keep going until he gets it. So at least two titles and two Cys plus 100+ wins--including his 300th--with a sub-3.00 ERA over 1,000+ IP? Yeah, that's probably an Astros hat in Cooperstown.

2. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Does Mookie Betts have a shot at NL MVP, or is it Acuna’s to lose?

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Betts sure looked like an MVP this weekend in Boston. A strong finish never hurts any candidate in a writers' vote.

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

5. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

Weekly post about how these post-Sunday Night Baseball interviews are fucking Guantanamo Bay-esque torture.

Fred siegle likes this.
  6. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Noah Syndergaard DFA’d by Cleveland. One of the guys who looks like he’s finished after TJ surgery.

Had some big moments with the Mets and fun to watch.

Fred siegle likes this.
  7. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Yet his numbers haven't been abysmal in his five starts with Cleveland. I don't know why the Guardians traded for him. They know they suck and that he's a free agent at season's end.
    I'm not sure anybody will snap him up now, but I've got to think somebody will give him a one-year deal with bonus clauses activated by innings counts, etc.

8. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

He's done. He thought he'd just throw 101 mph forever and he had and has no backup plan. He literally can't pitch.

It's truly amazin' how that Mets dream rotation fell apart. Wheeler's the last one standing and he basically lost three years to Tommy John surgery.

Fred siegle, Hermes and Deskgrunt50 like this.
  9. Deskgrunt50

No such thing as a bad one-year contract in baseball. Yeah, I think someone will give him a contract. Maybe he can still work back to be a solid pitcher. Next season (I think) will be his third full season since TJ. Not impossible but there probably aren’t too many more chances.

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Neutral Corner likes this.
  11. Deskgrunt50

Definitely. There was seemingly a lot to look forward to with Mets pitching in 2013-14.

Of course I kinda thought that before this season too. Now David Peterson, Tylor Megill and Cookie Carrasco make up 3/5 of the rotation.

Loved Cookie, don’t get me wrong. But he’s got nothing left.

12. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

Peterson might be OK. For the longest time, he looked like the next Jon Niese, bad body language and all. But he's been pretty good since he came back to the bigs. He'll never be an ace but a tall lefty with strikeout stuff is a good guy to have around in the middle of a rotation. Megill might need to become a reliever. He's always great to start a season and then he loses it, though that may be a byproduct of the arm injuries last year. But his brother is turning into a shutdown reliever with the Brewers so you never know. Carrasco...yeah, this looks like the end of the line for him. It's been a terrific run but he looks done.

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted